Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does resin 'go off' with age?
johnH20

posted on 13/6/20 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Does resin 'go off' with age?

I needed to do a small fibreglass job today, had not done any in quite while. I opened a new tin of PE resin and made up 100 ml with 2% hardener. According to the tin this should be good for 20 -25 mins working time at 20 deg C. Mine went off in 5 mins! So I tried again with a 1% mix and the same thing happened. The only clue is that when pouring the resin out it seemed to have a slightly lumpy consistency although when mixed this disappeared. Never had this before and I am moderately experienced with fibreglass - I used to make surfboards in my youth.
gremlin1234

posted on 13/6/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
yes it does, sometimes the hardener is called accelerator
does the tin have a 'best before/ use by' date?

see also...
https://www.iso.org/standard/41680.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/6/20 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I have resin that will not even come out the can now they certainly have a shelf life and if you buy resin from a boat builder supplier such as West systems resin they tell you long long if will last.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 13/6/20 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
It certainly does, also if you find resin that's only half rock hard and the other that looks fine, it's more than likely all no good as it won't harden properly at a later date.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/6/20 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Styrene is the both the solvent for the resin and the actual resin itself... it will quite happily cross-link if it's left a while. You'll end up with a resin with a variation of cross-linked units, some large, some small. Stirring it all in won't change that.

Add the rest of the peroxide to the can, set it all safely solid and send it to landfill.

Buy a new batch.

With a 'normal' activity MEKP catalyst 1-2% will be ample in the summer, or what we in the UK call summer... gives you about 30 minutes working time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.