Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A new very random question... about double-glazing handles.
David Jenkins

posted on 26/6/20 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
A new very random question... about double-glazing handles.

I have a wooden double-glazed window at the back of my garage, with a top-opening bit. The window is roughly 1220mm wide, and opening bit is roughly 250mm high. The builder who installed it fitted it with a couple of stays that work, but are a PITA as they limit how much I can open it. The window is fitted with friction hinges at each side, just like a proper double-glazed window so I don't need stays at all, just something to lock it shut when closed.

So now I'm going to fit the sort of handle/lock you find on most double-glazed windows - but my question is, do I fit one in the middle, or should I fit two nicely spaced apart? I suspect that one will be enough, but I don't know what's normally done.

All advice gratefully received!
David

nick205

posted on 26/6/20 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Our house UPVC double glazed windows are 1.1m x 1.1m top hung fully opening. They have single locking handles bottom centre of each window. Work perfectly well on the friction hinges. I fitted opening limiters to the kids bedroom (1st floor) Windows to prevent accidents when they were younger. The limiters can be manually overridden if required for fire escape.

I'd suggest a single centrally placed locking handle will be sufficient.

steve m

posted on 26/6/20 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
All of my windows over one metre wide have two handles,
But that does mean when you open a window, you must use both hands, on both handles, to avoid overstressing the glass

If you only had one handle in the center, this wouldn't be a problem,

For security, I would go for two

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

BenB

posted on 27/6/20 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you know this but make sure you fit ones that can't be snapped to gain entry. Lots of euro style locks still in use are childs play to open.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.