Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mice in my house
Benzine

posted on 5/9/22 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Mice in my house

Calling upon the font of all knowledge, the LCB community for rodent issues.

Watching TV last week and a mouse pops it's head out from the sofa under my better half's feet. She didn't believe me until we found a few droppings. My cat isn't interested in mice, only bigger things like rats, rabbits and other cats so he's no use.

'Big cheese' brand traps x3 have had the bait that came with it eaten but not set off the trap. Have renewed with peanut butter. Only food source would appear to be the cat's biscuits, all cupboards are clear and food in packaging/boxes.

Anyone have a go to method for good success rates for catching mice?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 5/9/22 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I grew up in an old farmhouse where we used to catch anything up to 10 mice a week (as soon as the weather starts to turn colder they all move out of the fields...)

get some these traps:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intruder-30442-Better-Mousetrap-6-Pack/dp/B00APWMD3A

they are very sensitive and don't make a mess (they kill the mouse, but don't end up with blood everywhere like some) also you can just pick it up by the back of the trap an empty it strait into the bin without touching the mouse or having to sweep up any bits (like the old wire traps)

and use small blob of cheap chocolate nut spread as the bait and leave them close to the area's you've found signs of them

I've always caught them within 1-2 nights this way

these days the only mice I get in the house are the ones the cats bring in

[Edited on 5/9/2022 by mcerd1]

-

coyoteboy

posted on 5/9/22 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I don't like killing the little furry friends, there's no need, and I used humane traps with chocolate spread and drop them a mile or so away.

The biggest issue is finding where they got in, and if they've nested. If they've nested, or you have openings they can get in (including at roof level) endlessly trapping them isn't a way forward either.

They only come for food, so isolate and protect food sources and clean like you have OCD. Trap the ones you can in a week, and then keep the place OCD clean. They'll leave eventually.

[Edited on 5/9/22 by coyoteboy]

obfripper

posted on 5/9/22 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
These are quite effective humane traps to make if you have a 3d printer and a 500ml coke bottle, they do need a few holes in the bottle to allow airflow, and as usual some die just from the shock of being trapped.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3055012

Dave

Benzine

posted on 5/9/22 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I think they've come in over summer when we've had loads of doors open, sometimes all night (quiet area!) So have grasshoppers, elephant hawk moths, slugs etc

I'm not a fan of killing animals either, I haven't eaten any for 10+ years so that should offset my miniature rodent offensive I think taking up the cat's food at certain times will help long term.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 5/9/22 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Dont get this type:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toplabel-Outdoor-Reusable-Catchers-Cleaning/dp/B09NM3GC4G/ref=sr_1_13?crid=5DVNHN3050TE&keywords=humane%2Bmouse%2Btraps&a mp;qid=1662391963&sprefix=humane%2Bmou%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-13&th=1

The door is so strongly sprung that one mouse trapped its tail, and then degloved it and spent the night bleeding and in agony.

This type works just fine:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-PSTTB-Trip-Trap-Boxed/dp/B000LXWQBW/ref=sr_1_12?crid=5DVNHN3050TE&keywords=humane+mouse+traps&qid=166239185 2&sprefix=humane+mou%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-12

[Edited on 5/9/22 by coyoteboy]

BenB

posted on 5/9/22 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've had good results in my shed with Big Cheese stv148 traps. Odd if those ones are the ones you've got and no success. I used to like the mice until they ate the elevator for one of my r/c planes!!
perksy

posted on 5/9/22 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mouse traps from Screwfix baited with mars bar or better still Snickers bar

They don't come back from these though, Its a one way trip...

indykid

posted on 5/9/22 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I've had good results in my shed with Big Cheese stv148 traps. Odd if those ones are the ones you've got and no success. I used to like the mice until they ate the elevator for one of my r/c planes!!

I had good success at christmas with the big cheese stv149 rat trap.....catching mice, but if you do so, I'd recommend blanking the sides as I got a slightly undesirable catch where it came in from the side and more crushed its chest than got its neck, but I don't think it would have suffered.

After the initial run with the rat trap, we got some stv148 mouse traps and that's caught a mouse since.

Mushing mars bar into the bait hole worked well and stops the mouse picking the bait out which they did with the rat trap. They actually have to stand on the trigger plate to eat it.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/9/22 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm not a fan of killing animals either, I haven't eaten any for 10+ years so that should offset my miniature rodent offensive I think taking up the cat's food at certain times will help long term.

Honestly I just don't see the need to kill them. You can catch them without just as effectively, so why do it? If there was a valid reason, I'd do it (I eat meat), I spent long enough listening to scratching and cleaning poo off my counter tops to become very annoyed with them!

[Edited on 6/9/22 by coyoteboy]

pewe

posted on 6/9/22 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
We were staying in a holiday cottage around this time of year and the mice were driving us mad scrabbling around in the roof void above the bedroom.
Evidently as the temperature/weather changes they head indoors particularly into ceilings the insulation's nice and warm!
Maintenance guy arrived with a plug-in (a bit like a night light).
Call me sceptical - I had my doubts.
He plugged it in, switched it on - result - no more mice - unbelievable!!!
Evidently the ultra sonic frequency is tuned to either rats or mice so you need to but the appropriate one.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/9/22 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I have two of the ultrasonic things. However there's solid scientific evidence that they don't work. I have video footage of the mice standing about chatting underneath one. But it was worth a try.

pewe

posted on 6/9/22 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Yeah I have two of the ultrasonic things. However there's solid scientific evidence that they don't work. I have video footage of the mice standing about chatting underneath one. But it was worth a try.

Maybe you have the rat version rather than the mouse one?
Deffo worked for us so sample of one refutes the "scientific" evidence.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/9/22 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Mice are a constant problem here, especially now that the Combines have been and cleared the fields. The big invasion though is always just before the frosts of winter get going. Rats, etc., also a big issue. All this lot cause a lot of mess and damage though throughout the house and workshop.
OK, so weapons that work:

Mouse traps are good, the wooden ones don't take well to the damp, but the Big Cheese plastic jobs are superb in all conditions. The big ones take out the rats and mice, the small ones will take out a rat, but really it's a mouse only thing. The BG traps have teeth (literally), they really do work well.

Rat traps, the cage type with the dropping door, work well too. They don't kill the thing though, that's down to you, and a trapped rat makes one helluva racket in the thing when it gets trapped. Big problem with them is that the mice freely enter and exit with the bait, so you have to keep restocking the things. Birds get trapped too and unfortunately they often suffer injury as a consequence, so it's really only selectively effective indoors, kitchen cupboards, etc.

Cats are great. I have two killing machines, a constant supply of 'presents'. If you can train the cats to deposit the things in a certain place, it avoids stepping on the carcasses unexpectedly. Mice no problem, rats do fight back (so the cat's ears get a bit rough), but again the cats are (sadly) not selective when it comes to birds, but they're damn good at digging out moles.

Baits do not work (at least for me). The mice take the bait to their nests (wall cavities, etc., etc., etc., etc.) and yes, do die, as do the contents of the nest, BUT it takes too long. I'm then left with a bad smell, a baited nest and an infestation of beetles. I can get at the beetles when they come out, but invariably not the nest. Rats don't have any interest in the bait.

An air rifle gives variable results on the rats, but it is only effective if you can get a clean head shot.

daviep

posted on 6/9/22 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Guaranteed best mouse trap.

Mouse trap

I put a few inches of water in the bottom, just have to remember and scoop the floaters out now and then.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

David Jenkins

posted on 6/9/22 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
These are quite effective humane traps to make if you have a 3d printer and a 500ml coke bottle, they do need a few holes in the bottle to allow airflow, and as usual some die just from the shock of being trapped.

Dave

That is remarkably clever! I will save that one, in case we get any more little furry friends visiting... (we have, in the past)

Rod Ends

posted on 6/9/22 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I used a B+Q mousetrap baited with chocolate to get rid of some mice that were in the loft.
Mike Wood

posted on 6/9/22 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a dozen of the original Little Nipper wooden mousetraps from your local hardwear shop (see: https://homehardwaredirect.co.uk/productinfo?product=Procter-Little-Nipper-Mouse-Trap-2&ProductID=25123 ). Bait them with fruit and nut chocolate (or peanut butter). Set all 12 traps simultaneously, alongside skirting boards, in dark corners, by hot water pipe runs including near tank (if you have one). Not just in places you saw them.

Check twice a day, clear, rebait, rest and replace any successful traps. Keep going 5 days after none trapped and none seen.

Check to see that your kitchen internal bin and food storage is tidy.

Look in other places. In an old farm cottage I rented we saw mice walking across a lounge fireplace but also found them at the same time in the loft (used water pipes and holes round them).

Check for any damage to wiring.

I should have posted this quicker - you need to do this quickly, hard and at scale. Numbers increase.

Keep an eye out for future problems. Hang on to the traps for any future use.

Good luck
Mike

[Edited on 6/9/22 by Mike Wood]

snapper

posted on 6/9/22 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cat who brings them in, has even dropped the on the bed of the cat sitter when I’ve been working away.
There was a short period when mice found their own way in and that was in a small hole in the plaster around the soil pipe, I blocked it off and now it’s only the cat that brings them in, they don’t last long unless I can get to them then they get released back in to the wild

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 7/9/22 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper

Dave

That is remarkably clever! I will save that one, in case we get any more little furry friends visiting... (we have, in the past)

Ditto - liking that a lot!

We have a 3D printer at work and Coke bottles are cheap enough.

Not had any mice at home, but brother in law has and had a job catching them. Neither of their cats gave a fig about mice or trying to get them!

coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/22 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Maybe you have the rat version rather than the mouse one?
Deffo worked for us so sample of one refutes the "scientific" evidence.

no, it's a switchable mouse/insect one that comes with about 1000 positive reviews. However the scientific evidence being dozens of lab tests showing they have no effect. Since my mousey friends come and go for weeks at a time, I'm willing to conclude they do nothing as per the science and the positive reviews are just everyone's expectation bias, but I leave them on out of raw stubbornness.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.