Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why would I need an inspection?
carcentric

posted on 29/8/03 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why would I need an inspection?

First, the project is described at http://www.carcentric.com/SpitTrike.htm for those not already familiar from the previous thread in Locost Related.

Second, a Q&A excerpt from the official website of my state (Washington, USA): "Do all powered three-wheeled vehicles need to be licensed as motorcycles? No. If the vehicle qualifies as a motorcycle as defined in RCW 46.04.330 or 46.04.332, it will be licensed as a motorcycle for street use. However, if the vehicle has a bench seat and a steering wheel as defined in RCW 46.04.330 or 46.04.332, it will be licensed as a passenger vehicle or truck."

The donor Spitfire is already registered as a car, and there will be no bike parts or parts from any other car added (except maybe a double row timing chain and cam sprockets from a 4.5 MBenz for the final drive). So I'm thinking I can just do the surgery (convert one drive wheel to a spare), add a minimal Morgan-esque trike body, and continue to drive with the car license it has.

A local VW triker, however, is trying to convince me I need to have a state inspection (after conversion) by the State Patrol. "Why," I ask? "Because you'll have converted it to a trike," he says.

Since by the state's definition I'm not converting it to a motorcycle, seems to me that I'm just doing a little automotive "customization" - like chopping the top off a coupe to create a roadster. No inspection's needed for that. What say you, arbiters of all that matters?

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.