Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bmw front uprights
waterrat

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
bmw front uprights

i bought the steering rack and uprights from a bmw a little while ago. now that i'm at the stage where i need to make my wishbones i have noticed that the top mounting bracket on my uprights is 90 degrees to the possition you would normaly find on a locost suspention. as far as i can see the upper ball joint needs to be mounted vertically for it to work.
i was wondering if anyone has built their locost using bmw uprights, if the top ball joint can be mounted horizontally and if not if there is an alternate design for the upper wishbone for use with this type of upright. or would it be easyer to replace these uprights for the standard part. Rescued attachment upright.JPG
Rescued attachment upright.JPG

ned

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I can't quite make it out - your picture's too small...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 9/10/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Which model/year BMW is it?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

waterrat

posted on 9/10/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
fairly certian it's from a series 6 coup'e. as for the year i have no idear.
britishtrident

posted on 10/10/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
If its a 6 series it will be on the big side and the rack will be a PAS rack.

Older 3 series would be more suitable.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chrisg

posted on 10/10/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
This is the sort of thing I intend to do with the three series hubs whick LOOK similar.

A fabrication with a thick plate at the top for the top ball joint.

The fabrication (shown translucent) is bolted at the two bottom strut mounts and the through bolt which also attaches the strut.

You'll need something like "susprog" to work out the top ball joint position, fastening it on is NOT enough!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

waterrat

posted on 10/10/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the design idear for your upright convertion. the fabrication looks prity simple but it seems to solve the problem quite well. i will have to take a closer look at this solution and see if it's right for my build.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.