Board logo

fire extinguisher...?
foes - 31/7/09 at 11:05 AM

Thinking its a good idea to get a fire extinguisher in the car, ideally a plumbed in job would be nice but can't really stretch to one at the minute, so it'll have to be a nice little hand held one as its better than nothing...

Where's the cheapest place to get these from, and what type is best, foam? powder?

Where's the best place to mount it, i'm thinking maybe vertical inbetween the seats on the rear panel or horizontal in the passenger footwell, anyone got some pics...?

Mr Whippy - 31/7/09 at 11:13 AM

Personally I'd assume (god forbid it happened like) you were trapped and could not reach behind you. So sit in the car and find somewhere you can reach it. I'd go for as big as you can fit and get one with a gauge to easily check the pressure. I use dry powder, it does work from experience.

blakep82 - 31/7/09 at 11:37 AM

i think this was meant to be posted here
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=118680

Slater - 31/7/09 at 12:08 PM

Lidl do a 1kg handheld with braket for about £6. You won't get cheaper than that. Mine is mounted in between the rear seats on the panel.

I thought a mounted one could be more versatile than a plumbed in one. Say you come across somebody trapped in a car that is on fire, at least you have an option to put it out. Plus it's miles cheaper too.

blakep82 - 31/7/09 at 12:13 PM

if its between the seats, wouldn't it get in the way of your elbows during more 'vigorous' gear changes
unless you got paddle shift...

i'd always put it in the passenger footwell. depending on the bracket, you wouldn't want that coming loose from behind you in a crash.

[Edited on 31/7/09 by blakep82]

Flamez - 31/7/09 at 01:03 PM

If you ever want to race etc then MSA do not allow Dry Powder so go for AFFF or the like.

MakeEverything - 31/7/09 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
If you ever want to race etc then MSA do not allow Dry Powder so go for AFFF or the like.

Or "Foam" to those that dont know!

foes - 31/7/09 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slater
Lidl do a 1kg handheld with braket for about £6. You won't get cheaper than that. Mine is mounted in between the rear seats on the panel.

I thought a mounted one could be more versatile than a plumbed in one. Say you come across somebody trapped in a car that is on fire, at least you have an option to put it out. Plus it's miles cheaper too.

Yep just picked one up from our local lidl, £6.99 i think it was, cheap as...
Mind i did end up buyin 1.5 litres of hoegaarden and a bottle of rose' as well..!

foes - 1/8/09 at 12:59 PM

So, where shall i mount it....

Or

I'm thinking passenger footwell at the minute, keeps the weight nice and low, can't reach it from the drivers seat tho...?

iank - 1/8/09 at 04:32 PM

Just in front of the passenger seat is best, easier to reach than behind the seat IMO

dave107 - 9/8/09 at 08:20 PM

Just got back from holiday.

Dry powder fire extinguishers are very corrosive, you would probably end up stripping your whole engine down to get rid of mess, AFFF ok for small fire not to much mess, most expensive options gas will put out a huge fire and no mess to clear up at all.

sergebelg - 21/8/09 at 01:30 PM

best place for me is between the seats. 4 points harness : impossible to reach the extinguisher if placed near the passenger's seat