Board logo

Battery cable
JohnH - 8/9/17 at 10:07 AM

Iam not very good with wiring. So can anyone running a zetec upload a picture of the main live cable from the battery to starter and alternator. Or a drawer of the layout of the cables ? Many thanks 🤔

tims31 - 8/9/17 at 11:09 AM

On mine I have a cable from post B on the alternator to the solenoid on the starter and also a cable from the pos side of the battery to the same point on the solenoid.

It can go other ways too just depends on where your battery is located in relation to the starter but that's how mine is.

This may help
Description
Description

HTH

[Edited on 8/9/17 by tims31]

JohnH - 8/9/17 at 11:18 AM

Thanks for that. Iam hoping to fit the battery box in the passenger footwell behind a foot rest. So the starter will be on the same side. Thanks

JohnH - 8/9/17 at 11:21 AM

If I add a kill switch is there any difference ?

tims31 - 8/9/17 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JohnH
If I add a kill switch is there any difference ?

Hmm, not sure on that one, is it just to prevent it starting or does it need to kill the power completely all round? Someone more knowledgeable will be able to post up for you.

This needs to be posted into the electrics section really for you to attract the right person - I have posted into the electrics section back to this thread

[Edited on 8/9/17 by tims31]

ste - 8/9/17 at 05:39 PM

start by disconnecting the battery.

remove the positive terminal from the battery cable and replace it with a tube terminal to fit your master switch.

then get a length of cable from the other side of the kill switch back to the battery.

on the kill switch will be 4 spade terminals.

theyre in two pairs labelled 1 and 2

see the instructions that come with the switch as to which pair to use for the next part as one is a normally off witch and one is normally on.

the normally off (when the main switch is made, goes from the alternator to earth via a ballast resistor.

the other, pair of terminals are for the coil. cut the power feed to the coil and extend them to reach the switch.

check everything,

reconnect battery

test