Board logo

Plastic bags for old asbestos cement roof needed
nobrakes - 18/10/16 at 07:41 PM

I'm re-roofing the garage and will have about 40 asbestos cement sheets to get rid of.
The local tip takes them as long as they're individually double-wrapped in thick (500-1000 gauge/0.125-0.25mm) plastic bags and here's the problem, the sheets are about 7 feet long and I'm having trouble finding bags this big.
Does anyone know where I can get some?

rgrs - 18/10/16 at 07:54 PM

Have you asked a disposal company to quote to collect ?

It might not be as much as you think, by the time you have wrapped and transported it the costs mount up.

I had 36 sheets collected last year and it worked out at just over £5+vat per sheet.
It also means you get a disposal certificate.

Roger

LBMEFM - 18/10/16 at 08:03 PM

That type of asbestos is not as hazardous as some but it should still be treated with respect. In the past I have dealt with it by getting someone to play a hosepipe on it while you break it up into manageable sized pieces that will fit into standard sized black rubbish sacks.

femster87 - 18/10/16 at 09:19 PM

http://www.plasticbagsuppliers.co.uk/hazardous-waste-bags/hazardous-waste-bags-yellow.html

Get it soaked in water and get some very decent RPE.

Good info here
http://www.hse.gov.uk/ASBESTOS/essentials/index.htm
[Edited on 18/10/16 by femster87]

[Edited on 18/10/16 by femster87]

SJ - 19/10/16 at 08:06 AM

I paid a disposal firm to collect mine. I only had a bout 5 sheets. They just chucked it in the back of a Transit pickup. I don't think they even wore dust masks.

They were fully registered and issued the proper certification.

nobrakes - 19/10/16 at 11:48 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'd thought about paying to get it taken away but the local tip (Cuxton, near Rochester) is only a few miles away and will accept it for free. I rang the council and it doesn't even have to be in proper haz. waste bags, just double-wrapped in heavy gauge plastic.
I've no idea if the council give a disposal certificate but it isn't something I need.
Its looking like I'll have to break them up under water so I can use smaller bags, they're 31" wide and vary from 5 to 7' long and like I said, I can't find any this big.

big_wasa - 19/10/16 at 12:38 PM

Ive got the same job to do at my mums. One disposal firm still wanted it double bagging and taking to them.

Pdlewis - 19/10/16 at 12:59 PM

I have the same problem, the company who i rang for a skip still wanted it double wrapping. would love to find a company that will just come and pick it up would make life alot easier

rgrs - 19/10/16 at 04:47 PM

Use dpm, tape and seal. That way you can keep the sheets whole.

or try :Asbestos Collection Services
Waste-Management Service

Address: 1 &, 2 Runwood Rd, Canvey Island SS8 0PL
Phone:01268 681177

Roger

nobrakes - 19/10/16 at 06:17 PM

Dpm? what's that?

big_wasa - 19/10/16 at 07:16 PM

Damp proof membrane ?