Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension tweaking and LSD
flak monkey

posted on 10/12/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension tweaking and LSD

I need to get the suspension on my car tweaked up as it has a tendency to lift the inside wheel when hammering around corners, not much, but enough to make it spin up. I know this is partially to do with me having an open diff, but I think it could be made better without resorting to the hassle of changing it (for a start I dont want to have to fit disk brakes at the rear).

Currently i have 350lb springs up front and 175lb at the back. The car weighs about 625kg without a driver and is 55:45 weight distribution with a driver. If anything the car has a tendency to understeer slightly when pushed hard which indicates too stiff at the front or too soft at the back IIRC. The reason for the 350lb up front is becuase I have a boat anchor for an engine and the supplied 275llb springs werent man enough .

Suggestions for improvements from those in the know please

Plus has anyone fitted a 7" LSD with drum brakes at the rear? If so, how?

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

AdamR

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you know what the problem is - your front springs are too stiff.

I have a slightly heavier boat anchor than yours and I was advised (by MNR amongst others) that 275lb springs up front would be fine. I haven't driven it yet, but based on the highly scientific method of bouncing the rolling chassis up and down in my garage, I think it'll be ok.

nitram38

posted on 10/12/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
An anti-roll bar is a good fix, if you can fit one.
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 10/12/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
If possible try and get your car set up on corner weights by someone who knows these cars. We got the stock car set up by an expert and its saves a lot of guess work. As for the diff and driveshafts i did read on here somewhere that somebody did have hybrid driveshafts ie push in on the hub side and bolt on at the diff side or could have been the other way round. Just wish i could find the post as other people have asked as well.
Ronnie

Ps Another option to your handling problem is to drive slower round corners

mcerd1

posted on 10/12/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkeyPlus has anyone fitted a 7" LSD with drum brakes at the rear? If so, how?

Its done all the time with quaife ATB's - but I don't think there is a ford LSD that suits the push-in type shafts (someone please tell me if I'm wrong)
the stub axle bits that the drivshafts fit onto/ into are equal lenghts on open diffs but not on ford LSD's

Is there any special reson that you don't want the rear disc setup ?

flak monkey

posted on 10/12/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkeyPlus has anyone fitted a 7" LSD with drum brakes at the rear? If so, how?

Is there any special reson that you don't want the rear disc setup ?

Because the brake balance is just right now without any need for bias valves and twin master cylinders

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mcerd1

posted on 10/12/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I know that iiyama has push-in shafts and rear discs on his rush (with modified disc brake hub carriers)
basically the opposite of what you want I don't know what diff he's got though

I suppose you could get driveshafts made with push-in one end and bolt-on the other (but an ATB would probably be cheaper)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.