Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: de-dion pics please!
ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
de-dion pics please!

Can anyone post up pics of the dedion stup as darresn web pics are a bit dark/vague. interested mainly in the hub end of the axle pics.. traling arms mount positions etc.

Darren,

Is there any neg camber or toe in on the beam?

Is it possible to order the beam without the trailing arm mounts incase i want to position them myself?

cheers,

ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dozracing

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

You can put camber and toe in very easily to the beam. Yes we can do just the beam for you and there will be more pics coming soon of the beam off of the car.

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Thanks for the quick reply! Any idea how long the extra pics will be, I'm an impatient bugger.

My reason for possibly changing the trailing arm points is to accomodate some changes i made to my chassis when i was originally going to go IRS.

I hope this pic shows, where I removed the book trailing arm points an put some 2x1 in on the ends of the cockpit rear bulkhead.

Any ideas round this would be appreciated. What should be the minimum length of trailing arms. one book i've read suggests 8 inches..

cheers,

Ned.

ed_crouch

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
chaps,
I have a 3D CAD model of a DeDion Beam based on some sketches on Craig Chaimberlain's website. DeDion is something I want to get into when i get the car on the road, so there will be more development on the design.

There is a picture of the beam design on my website:

http://www.wings-and-wheels.net

Its under locost files, planning and modelling

Ed.

P.S. Ned, have you still got those Sierra rear hubs (if you ever did have the hubs *memory fails*)??

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ed,

the hubs are required for my dedion axle! the rest is/was scrap as it was the heavy trailing arms off the sierra.

ned.

ed_crouch

posted on 9/2/04 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
no worries, chap!
Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
would there be any detrimental affects to moving the dedion axle trailing arm mounts further back, slightly behind the axle?

Ned.

nige

posted on 9/2/04 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
have you looked at the locost cd
that david dunn does ?
this gives good pics of dedion set up.
we are going dedion ,the trailing arm
position on yours looks to be further in
if this is the case then the hub carrier tube
would need to be longer , if you use standard width shafts .
not expert but giving it a bloody good go

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

timf

posted on 9/2/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
ned the changes to the book chassis are on darrens site http://www.cougarracing.fsnet.co.uk/dedion.pdf

btw i though you were going into hibernation for a while

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Tim,

Thanks, I've seen that diagram already. only going into hibernation with regards to working on the car. can still keep buying bits for it! just won't work on it for a bit. couple of months hopefully to sort the house move...

Ned.

pbura

posted on 9/2/04 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

Why not just pop in some new M tubes for mounting your trailing arms?

You could still use your idea for placing the axle pivots a bit farther back, as the standard trailing arms are not very long to begin with.

It's not like you're going to be scarfing up your powder coat or anything

Pete

Pete

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

I don't have my 'book' to hand, are the m tubes the book chassi trailing arm mounting points?

If they are i'd need to cut out the 2x1 i've put across the cockpit bulkhead where the trailing arms would go which i don't really want to do. this is the only reason i'm considering moving the axle traliing arm mounts further back.

cheers,

Ned.

pbura

posted on 9/2/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, yeah, I see now.

Yes, the 'M' tube is for mounting the trailings arms. I had to look it up for my earlier response

You have shortened halfshafts so you don't have a lot of room between chassis and wheel, right? In that case I think cutting out the 1"X2" would be the way to go If you have room, you could hang your brackets (or bolts for rod ends) outboard a bit, but this wouldn't be very strong, I suppose.

BTW, one neat method Mike Laws of Oz and others have used is to weld a box made of 1"X2" U channel to the 'M' tubes instead of brackets, making a very secure mounting.

Good luck!

Pete

Pete

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

I'm gonna use standard sierra track, which is slightly wider than book locost, though i guess it depends on where the pickup up points are put on the axle/chassis...

Ned.

ned

posted on 9/2/04 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've just priced up what I'd need for he dedion rear end and it has come to [shock] £282.50 + delivery [/shock]

this isn't much cheaper than the mk rear end which i had priced up a couple of months ago.

what makes me even more annoyed is that i had a set of trailing arms and a panhard rod that i sold for only £25 and the trailing arms alone from gts are £44.

I'm annoyed now

Ned.

pbura

posted on 9/2/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Holy crap! That's a far cry from £150, I'd say.

Given any thought to making your own? Here's a couple of inspirational links:

http://au.geocities.com/phil1rowe4/rear.html
http://www.craig.chamberlain.name/locost/Diary-200306.htm

Pete

dozracing

posted on 9/2/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

How do you work out that its £200+?

In the £150 you get the Panhard rod, DeDion axle, trailing arms. The only thing you need is the diff mounts unless you fancy making your own, they are only £12. So its a long long way off your sums.

Please don't publish prices like this when they are inaccurate as its gives people the wrong impression.

Whats more important is the comparison of prices against the other suppliers and i think you'll find that you can't get parts from MK or Luego cheaper. You probably can from Lolocost, but, then why would you want to settle for inferior quality for a pound or two saving.

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

M@Triton

posted on 9/2/04 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
The de dion axle set up gets you a lighter car....IRS is heavier much heavier as there tends to be more gubbins to hang wishbones on......most look complete tosh too and don't do what it says on the tin....ie adjust!
If i could post pics i would but it doesn't want to play ball....sorry
Regards
Mark@Triton

ed_crouch

posted on 10/2/04 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Well, there we go!

Doz, I am building a plus4 chassis, and hence the trailing arm mounts (when i go for Dedion: am going to get it on the road with a LRA and then swap when the Rover V8 goes in!) will want to be 100mm further apart than for a book chassis. Can you weld them on further apart, or would i need to modify the axle myself??

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

ned

posted on 10/2/04 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Darren,

My sincerest apologies, I hadn't realised that the dedion axle included the trailing arms and panhard rod, I'd added this all on top of the axle, along with the caliper plates, rod ends etc etc to reach that figure. In this light, I'm very happy to agree that your kit is much more attractively priced than MK or luego's. MK quoted me around £320 for their wishbones, uprights, bolts, bushes and brackets etc for their rear end!

Am I right in thinking that I'd still need to add on the cost of bolts/bushes/disc brake caliper mount plate, rod ends to the basic axle kit?

Thanks,

Ned.

dozracing

posted on 10/2/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

You do need to add on the bolts and bushes etc, but i guess you already have most of them for the front, so the few that you need for the rear setup will be much cheaper.

Kind regards,
Darren

ned

posted on 10/2/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Can you sell me half a set of bushes/tube? enough to do the rear. the ones on the front are locoshite and i damaged some of them when trial fitting, so don't have enough to do the rear. the bolts i have should be ok assuming they're the correct size!

are the rod ends included with the panhard rod or will i need to order them seperatley along with the caliper mounting plates?

Thanks,

Ned.

M@Triton

posted on 10/2/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ed, the trailing arm mounts are integral to the joint between ..... axle tube,end casing and hub mounting flange all jigged.

The only way really to make it 100mm wider is to alter the centre of the tube and leave each end well alone....make up a temp jig to hold it where you want and bingo. Rescued attachment De-Dion axle end view.jpg
Rescued attachment De-Dion axle end view.jpg

Stu16v

posted on 10/2/04 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
M@Triton, *I think* he is referring to the trailing arm brackets needing to be 100mm wider than 'book' as opposed to the whole axle itself. Unless that is what you mean too of course, in which case please ignore me....

Is the dedion designed for a 'book' width chassis with standard Sierra running gear/width?

Looks to be nice fabrication in piccy by the way gents....

[Edited on 10/2/04 by Stu16v]

[Edited on 10/2/04 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

M@Triton

posted on 10/2/04 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the axle is designed to suit the "book" chassis and yes again it is full width Sierra.
Sounds like tricky shaped trailing arms then or mod the chassis

And thanks for comments by the way.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.