Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No Negative camber.
x_flow57

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
No Negative camber.

The ft. end on our Challenger is all together (Sierra uprights) but has 2 problems.

1. I have the camber adjusters screwed fully in ans still have 1°+ve camber.

2. Without rack extenders there is not enough thread screwed into the TRE, with them there is no way of getting any toe in.

I'm thinking we have the wrong wishbones or should be using Cortina uprights, which I'd rather not as we've got new Sierra ones fitted with new vented discs and overhalled calipers, on the other hand we are marginal on clearance between the tyre and bonnet on both left and right lock so we need to keep it as narrow as poss.

What are your thoughts.
Nick

PS SVA booked for 24th April. Panicking a little.

Edit to say:-

I've just checked and the wishbones appear to be the same length as the Cortina ones on my original book car.
And the btm joints seem to be angled inwards too much, ie not allowing much in the way of drop on the suspension.

[Edited on 9/3/09 by x_flow57]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much help this is but found this article that says its Sierra donor so should be ok. You have the correct Transit drag links i presume?? Only thing i can think otherwise is the top wishbones are wrong for your car - you havent got some off another GTS model by any chance??

Editted to say: Just a thought - you do have the wishbones on the correct side dont you?? You should have a few degrees of Castor (top ball joint rearwards)??

[Edited on 9/3/09 by Paul TigerB6]

britishtrident

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Re Camber --- Do you have offset mushrooms fitted or plain ones ?

If plain then try offset ones set to increase negative camber.

flak monkey

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly the bottom wishbones for sierra and cortina are the same, however the top ones are different, with the cortina ones being 19mm shorter than the sierra ones.

I have cortina wishbones on my panther, but measuring them probably wont help you because if its a challenger it will have the narrow spec wishbones anyway....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

x_flow57

posted on 10/3/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
The wishbones are in the correct places.

We have plain mushrooms fitted, do you think a small ammount of ofset here would make a enough difference to the camber?

Both "bones" are the same length as my cortina ones, fitting longer top ones would only make my camber problem worse. Shorter top ones would touch the spring and the btm joint would then have even less movement.

x_flow57

posted on 10/3/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've taken a corner off mine, with Cortina uprights and guess what? Everything lines up perfectly.

Unfortunately shorter top bones will foul the spring so it looks like we'll have to fork out for a set of Cortina uprights, only bonus is the geometry should be better.

Any one want a pair of new Sierra uprights, reamed and fitted with new brake hoses, vented discs, all joints and a pair of rack exterders.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.