Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New project purchase
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
New project purchase

Well, after an ebay hunt last week, I'm not the owner of a GTS W7De, previously owned by Scotty_G.

It's an 1800 Zetec-based kit, and I'm eager to get it completed, IVA'd, and on the roads for the summer.

I'm currently looking into the fuelling side of things as a priority, as everywhere I read it's suggested that the standard injection system is binned and carbs/tb's used. I've had a read through previous posts, and tried to post in the WANTED section, but being a new member it won't let me yet!

Based in Chelmsford, Essex, the car's being built up in Leigh-on-Sea at a friends' house. Look forward to hearing from you all!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

cd.thomson

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Charlie, well done on the purchase, and good look with converting the standard injection . Is this your first kit?

Craig

blakep82

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
use this thread to make 10 posts and you should be able to make a 'wanted' post

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mookaloid

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the site

If you think posting in the wanted section is tricky, wait till you try to get into the shop

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick205

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Welcome to the site

If you think posting in the wanted section is tricky, wait till you try to get into the shop

don't tell him about the shop Mook

blakep82

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
ha ha ha don't start a whole nonsense about the shop again!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
what nonsense about the shop? I bought one of these:

I can now drive 1000 miles on 1 tank of fuel. Free P+P this month too.

Craig

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, this is my first kit car! My friend bought a Westfield SEW lastyear, and i got the bug. Having decided my E39 BMW 528 M-sport isn't really a sports car, I investigated other options.

I always wanted an R34 Skyline, and almost purchased one about a month ago as a treat to mysef. But tht fell through, and I decided (well, risked) with Summer approaching, why not be a little more adventurous?!?

As it stands, I've got a chassis with external panels attached, engine/fearbox/axle in situe, steering column attached, and a box full of bitc including callipers, copper pipe, wiring loom, guages ad some lights.

Looks like I've got my work cut of for me! That and the fact I called my local VOSA testing centre to ask about booking it in for an IVA (SVA applications aren't being accepted after last Friday) with regards to waiting list/time, and they were useless. So I'm booking a week off work, and combined with my mateand various cups of tea, we shall attempt to piece it all together!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260381828086

In reply to my previous post in this thrad, would I be able to use these if i changed a) the manifold, and b) other sensors accordingly?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'll re-post to the engine section if req'd!

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
one week eh... all the best!
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well, my theory is I'm off to purchase all the necessary bits in advance, so in 2-3 weeks time of evening and weeknd tinkering, I should have all the bits to get it going (touch wood!). I've got a Westie to use as a template if need be, a garage full of tools (including air compressors etc.) and a lot of tea bags, biscuits, and enthusiasm!

That and the fact I've rebuilt Vauxhall cars and C20XE redtops in my time helps me out a bit!

RK

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Waiting for parts is part of the deal. Get used to it. My strong advice is not to set deadlines at all.
roadrunner

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Iwould have your laptop at hand in the garage ready for when you get stuck with the build, then you could pop your question on here and you should get an answer fairly quick.
Good luck.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't set any actual deadlines as yet, just want to get things under way and continue with them at a decent pace! I don't want to get into the summer months and still be working on it.

And i know it's all about the waiting game, but I've got a lot of the parts to hand, just need small bits to set me up. But, guaranteed, something will come up mid way through the build.

Lets be honest, if it was easy everyone would be doing it!

adithorp

posted on 25/3/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Take plenty of pictures as you go. VOSA will want to see these when you apply for IVA, to prove you built it. Also keep all reciepts as they'll want those as well.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Chippy

posted on 25/3/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Re the Saxo throttle bodies, don't think they will work, as dont seem to have injectors, or anywhere to fit them. Plus the inlet manifold will not be the correct spacing, (probabley). I would suggest a set of motorcycle throttle bodies, and probabley a Boggs Brothers manifold, plus Megasquirt etc. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ray, looking at a set of motorcycle carbs and inlet manifold as we speak. I know absolutely nothing about bike carbs, and what's the difference between megajolt and megasquirt? Which would you recommend?

[Edited on 25/3/09 by Charlie_Zetec]

flak monkey

posted on 25/3/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on the purchase, should be a good car, the GTS is well designed and built, IMO of course.

Best bet with induction on the zetec is a set of GSXR600 throttle bodies and a custom made manifold (4 bits of pipe welded to a plate - which can be steel if you want to make it yourself....) The beauty of the older GSXR600 bodies is they are seperate and can be re-spaced to suit the zetec inlet ports making your inlet manifold much simpler.

You can the run them off megasquirt which allows you to controll both spark and fuel.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Chippy

posted on 25/3/09 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would agree with Flak, definately throttle bodies as he say's. The diference between Megajolt and Megasquirt, Jolt does ignition only, while Squirt does both ignition and fueling, which you would need with injection of any kind. HTH Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 26/3/09 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well I'm looking to buy these carbs:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260374027422
and sticking them on a manifold for the zetec. Would I need a megajolt or squirt?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm really useless with these things. I know how a set of webbers works, but know diddly about bike carbs. Would i need to control the fuelling and ignition with those bolted on?

So confused!!!

Chippy

posted on 26/3/09 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
With carbs you will just need Jolt, but to be honest you would be far better going the throttle body route, and fitting Squirt if you can afford it. Reason for saying this is that with Squirt you can control the fueling totaly. With carbs there is the jetting to sort, etc, etc, etc. Real PITA. Just my opinion of course, :-) Cheers Ray

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 26/3/09 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well, thanks for all the advice. I think as it stands, I'll be getting some motorbike carbs. My understanding is that i'll need to use the bike fuel pump as it pumps fuel in at a high frequency but low pressure. Guessing for this i'll need the megajolt kit for ignition only?

Does the megejolt run piggy-back to the standard Ford ECU, or replace it altogether?

Getting the impression I might have bitten of more than I can chew with this project, lol.

Chippy

posted on 27/3/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not very conversant with the Jolt, but pretty sure that it replaces the ECU. Guy that does know all the answers is Robocog, if you send him a U2U he will be only to pleased to put you on the right path, just say Ray gave you his handle, his name is Rob, (if you hadn't guessed) Cheers Ray

bob

posted on 28/3/09 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi charlie

If you do go the bike carb route when fitting the fuel line from the tank fit a return as well,even though you wont use it for the bike carbs you may want to go injection/throttle bodies at some point.

One point re bike carbs v throttle bodies,i would think ahead to IVA and controlability of fueling for the emisions test.You would have far more control with TB's/injection,even though megasquirt is far more complicated than MJ i am sure you will get all the help you require here.

scotty g

posted on 17/4/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi charlie, hope the build is going well, i can send you loads of photo's of the earlier stages of the build for mr SVA.
I had to sell the car after the missus hoofed me out as she wanted the garage and i needed to get a flat, would you believe i got a flat that comes with a garage!!!!!!!!! Never mind, i just bought a Rickman Ranger today so at least i can still get into the shows for free.
Take care mate, feel free to mesage me any time ok.
Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.