Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: primer and spraying
mat.price

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
primer and spraying

im at the stage that im nearly ready to spray my wheel arches on my tiger
ive been looking at the past posts about spraying ect
but what im trying to find out is that if i use cans for spraying do i need to use a primer before spraying the colour coats or can i just put the colour coats on??

blakep82

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
always use a primer

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you are spraying the gelcoat?? Rough it up with medium grade (400-600) wet n dry first to give it something to key to. Halfords sell a Plastic Primer in cans that seems to work well in gelcoat anyway. I've seen etc primer recommended also but whatever is used - if it doesnt key really well then its not going to last long.

mat.price

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
yes im will be spraying gelcoat and yes i will be roughing it up tomorrow with 600 grit
as for using the primer from other posts you put one layer of primer to every layer of colour paint
yes or no?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 31/3/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've not seen that rule of thumb before. I have always just used enough primer to do the job and allow for rubbing down etc myself. I'm no expert painter though (which has just given me the idea of looking for a college course - i booked onto a Welding course for September only last week!)

r1_pete

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mat.price
yes im will be spraying gelcoat and yes i will be roughing it up tomorrow with 600 grit
as for using the primer from other posts you put one layer of primer to every layer of colour paint
yes or no?

No you prime and flat untill you have a 'perfect' surface.

Basiclly prime, 360 - 400 griit wet or dry to take the fur and any runs out, no doubt this will rub through to the gel, re-prime, re flat and on, untill you have a nice smooth even surface, then you're ready for topcoat.

For a top job, spray a guide colour on when you think you're ready for topcoat, preferably black but never red, just a light dusting, then with 800 on a block, sand it all off this will show up any low spots (guide colour left behind) needing more work, or high spots will sand through the guide quickly.

The priming stage is more important than the topcoat, you can flat runs and sags out of the topcoat, but it will always follow the base coat, so if you have an uneven base you can't correct it with topcoat.

[Edited on 31/3/09 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
rub down with 600grit dry. clean off with pannel wipe. the prime it. let it dry prime it again. let it dry for 12 hours then sand down the primer with 600grit paper but using water. the aim is to get the primer really smooth not to sand it all away. once the primer is smooth do a light dust of colour let it dry and repeat until it is solid. then get some 1000grit paper and give the colour coat a light sand with water untill it looks slightly dull. once that is done give it a light coat of clear lacker let it dry for 30mins then give it another coating.

finally let it dry for about a week then give it a good polish but dont wax it for about a month.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mat.price

posted on 1/4/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
ok people ill give that a go thanks for the help
wish me luck

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/4/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Don't use any abrasive that requires water. The primer is designed to absorb the first liquid that comes into contact with it. I would prefer that it was my colour coat than the contents of the rubbing down bucket!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

mat.price

posted on 5/4/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
got this today from halfords
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_170745_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

will this do the job ok as it was the only one they had??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.