Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking about buying a panther kit
scoobie

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about buying a panther kit

I've been ummming and errring about a '7' kit for years now, and I'm still no closer to starting anything! I'm torn between building a haynes roadster and buying a panther kit...anyway...

I'm thinking about purchasing the Deluxe panther kit, with a power coated frame, with a donor parts pack.

What else would I need parts wise to complete my build?

I'm not far from GTS, would I be better off to go up there to order my kit?

I don't want this to start into a GTS debate, so at the first sign of this happening I'll ask for the thread to be locked/removed...

Thanks all

graememk

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
i really like the GTS panther and very nearly bought one myself , however i feel the look of the body work now is a bit square and out of date however well made it is, also although you live near to darren and can pay for the bits as he delivers you have to ask yourself what if you break something and need it in a hurry in the future, its not like you can pick up the phone and get it delivered the next day ?

ok i suppose if you can make and repair your own wish bones body work etc etc

i think if it was me i would build the haynes, loads of bits out there and suppliers to buy from

[Edited on 2/7/09 by graememk]

handyandy

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
i,m building a Haynes Roadster & i can honestly say it is one of the best things i,ve ever done, the sense of achievement you feel the first time it rolls out of the garage is an amazing feeling, when you consider you start with approx 42mtrs of sq steel .
i don,t know anything about your other choice but if you ENJOY creating something then go for the Roadster,
good luck with whichever path you take.

andy

Thinking about it

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
You have two different line of thought there.
Panther kit and parts kit will be more of a straight forward build up.
Haynes roadster, you will have more work to do, sourcing parts, welding chassis ect.
It depends on the amount of work you are prepared to do.
As for the GTS debate, if you are local I suggest you go along. If the product is good, fairly priced, and supply can be assured and you feel happy then only you can make the judgment. I am not biased either way, I am doing a scratch build.

gavin174

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
contact eddie99 he is building a panther kit as supplied by darren..

i am sure he wont mind you popping over and having a look....

i am using darren to supply alot of the builts on my scratch built.

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

Triton

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
The Roadster is available as a Kit but not really from one place just yet, Think besides myself there are two other firms doing the body work so there is a freedom of choice and same applies for the steel work.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobie

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone would think I am indecisive, I bought the original ron champion book, then forgot about it, then bought the edition which has the section about racing it, then bought a house and forgot about it, then last year I bought the haynes roadster manual...

*sigh* I think I just need to choose one, and go for it

I dont currently know how to weld, but have done stick and some gas welding before so I dont think it will be too tricky if I go down the scratch build route....

Decisions decisions....

Thanks for the input so far chaps, much appreciated

scoobie

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
The Roadster is available as a Kit but not really from one place just yet, Think besides myself there are two other firms doing the body work so there is a freedom of choice and same applies for the steel work.

I was going to use you for the bodywork if I did the haynes actually (I have family down your way so would kill two birds with one stone when it comes to picking up the bodywork)

I was going to buy the pre cut steel from armoto, and possibly some pre cut chassis plates from 3GE if doing the Haynes...

Just need to make up my mind...

Thinking about it

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same, both Ron Champion books, Haynes Roadster and the Tiger Avon. I'm sticking to the RC book in the main with a flavour of some of the others. The freedom of choice
Triton

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
You could gas weld the parts and add much goodness...
And there is a Ash G in Sittingbourne building a Roadster that is being featured in one of the mags so not far for you to go and have a nosey.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
handyandy

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
i couldn,t weld until i went to evening school(free course) & learnt, that was back in january this year, i started my roadster on april 2nd 09 & its now on wheels & about to have the engine trial fitted.
this is where i was coming from on the sense of achievement.
yes you have to source bits n bobs but thats part of the fun of the build, getting it to come together.
there are a few companies that supply the parts that are harder to make if thats what you want to do ( buy in the bits i mean)
there are a couple of roadster builders in your area, maybe contact them & see if they can help with your choice.

again good luck.

andy

Triton

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thinking about it
I did the same, both Ron Champion books, Haynes Roadster and the Tiger Avon. I'm sticking to the RC book in the main with a flavour of some of the others. The freedom of choice

Freedom of choice is what it's all about

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

scoobie

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You could gas weld the parts and add much goodness...
And there is a Ash G in Sittingbourne building a Roadster that is being featured in one of the mags so not far for you to go and have a nosey.

I think it would take me *forever* if I gas welded it....plus not got any of the kit, nor done it for about 10 years... Think it will be a 150A MIG and find an evening course to learn to mig weld if I go that route...

I'm happy for this project to take me a couple of years to complete... (not that it will ever be truly complete, I will tinker with it forever! )

Triton

posted on 2/7/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Kit cars are never truly finished you always find something to alter/play with no matter what you build that's the beauty of them.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/7/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Kit cars are never truly finished you always find something to alter/play with no matter what you build that's the beauty of them.

yip endless room for improvement, I was even thinking at one time of fitting 6 wheels to my JBA Falcon just to see what it would be like

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

andrew.carwithen

posted on 2/7/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you are considering GTS because they are close to you, how about GKD sportscars and their 'Legend' seven-type?
They're based in Maidstone, Kent. http://www.gkdsportscars.com
Don't know anything about the car, but it was featured in this month's Complete Kitcar and interestingly, uses a BMW donor.

scoobie

posted on 2/7/09 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
If you are considering GTS because they are close to you, how about GKD sportscars and their 'Legend' seven-type?
They're based in Maidstone, Kent. http://www.gkdsportscars.com
Don't know anything about the car, but it was featured in this month's Complete Kitcar and interestingly, uses a BMW donor.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo dont give me another option, I'm struggling with 2 as it is...

Looks like a nice '7', but I'm leaning slightly towards the haynes roadster at the moment...

Danozeman

posted on 2/7/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I would try and blag a ride in both if you can that will help you decide.

As you mention the GTS debate you obviuously know of some of the troubles people have had getting bits so i would pay them a visit and have a chat with him. IIRC he has/had a panther demo.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

designer

posted on 2/7/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Shame they couldn't get two front tyres the same for the Legend in the publicity photos!!
Yorkie

posted on 2/7/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds familiar.
I too was torn between the panther kit and the haynes roadster.
In the end I went for the deluxe panther kit, powder coated and the donor pack.

The donor pack consists of:
front hubs, rear hubs, driveshafts, diff, gearbox and steering column.

eddie99

posted on 2/7/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Panther, nuff said... contact me if you want to pop down to chelmsford and have a look or u2u me for any more info
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Front Row Joe

posted on 2/7/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I taught myself to weld and then treated my first efforts to a sustained assault with a sledgehammer. Couldn't break the welds so i was happy. Its easy really. That said if I had my time again I would buy a chassis pre-built. Cutting and welding takes 90% of the build time, if your slow like I was anyway!
rgrs

posted on 2/7/09 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
As you only live locally, go and see darren, and the quality of the parts, my car has a full set of his body work and it is good quality. Go and make your own mind up from your face to face meting with daren.If you need to find them u2u me and i'll send you some directions.

Personally having built my own chassis, if i built another car again i wouldn't bother. The amount of time taken for me to build it against buying one already powdercoated wouldn't stack up.

Roger

big_wasa

posted on 2/7/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
What he said ^ I have Panther bodywork on a home made chassis and if doing again I would just buy it.

Go and have a look.

scoobie

posted on 3/7/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated

I'm now swaying towards a panther...Ha! Think I'll take a trip to GTS and take a look for myself

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.