Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: side repeaters on wings ?
big_wasa

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
side repeaters on wings ?

I had half a kitcar mag droped on the door step saturday

I had a flick through and there was an artical on a gbs zero going throught iva.

It made comment on how 7's now had to have the repeaters on the front wings.

Any one know if this is correct ?

Nash

posted on 4/1/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Did it actually state the front wings?

I was going to buy some wing mirrors with repeaters built in from CBS as a solutio to side repeaters!

I really don't want them on the front wings!

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

DavidW

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've been trying to work this out over the last few days and think that you do have to have them on the front wings.

A couple of people on here have found that the relaxation of the SVA rules which allowed them to go in the side panel has been dropped for the IVA.

Caterham put them there and the newly registered westfield in this months evo mag has them there too.

These seem to be what they use which look pretty grim.

I'd be interested to hear what anybody else has worked out.

big_wasa

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
This is what gbs are using and selling.

link

Breaker

posted on 4/1/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
I've been trying to work this out over the last few days and think that you do have to have them on the front wings.

A couple of people on here have found that the relaxation of the SVA rules which allowed them to go in the side panel has been dropped for the IVA.

Caterham put them there and the newly registered westfield in this months evo mag has them there too.

These seem to be what they use which look pretty grim.

I'd be interested to hear what anybody else has worked out.

I think the mirrors with side repeaters built in will look great. Or you can stick them (side repeaters) to the front bar of your roll cage.

I just bought a MK Indy R with full roll cage but I also haven't decided were to put the repeaters...

[Edited on 4/1/10 by Breaker]

bodger

posted on 4/1/10 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the mirrors on the CBS website, they look great but I can't see how they'll meet the rear visibility requirements. Seems the only way to do that with the rear arches of a 7 is to mount them on the side of the front cycle wings.
skodaman

posted on 5/1/10 at 04:11 AM Reply With Quote
Crap. I just took off my old Mondeo repeaters to put on side of Locost.
Don't see how I can mount these on cycle wings. It's not like sevens have conventional wings to mount repeaters on.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 5/1/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
You could surely sikaflex an "L" shaped bracket to the underside of the cycle wing & fit them to that?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
anyone checked the manual?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Just read it
There seem to be two reasons for putting the repeater on the cycle wing.

1. angles of visibility being blocked by the rear arch.
2. They must be within 400mm of the edge of the vehicle. The scuttle/cage is likely to be a bit further than that on many cars, especially those with wide arch sierra width back ends.

Putting them on the wing mirror would seem likely to be a good solution assuming angles of visibility are ok.

As always check the manual/call your local VOSA test station to confirm if you are going for a first time pass.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Steve @ sVc

posted on 8/1/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
You must make sure that the wiring does not get “attacked” by the front tyre, and the angle of visibility that is required, is maintained – even on full lock. We have had customers buy repeaters to fit to the body after test failure because of this.

Regards Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nash

posted on 8/1/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Having done a bit of research while burried in my house because of snow I see no reason why you can't fit LED repeaters to the side / edge of the wing mirrors as long as they face front and rear

I think a call to VOSA next week is in order.

I shall report back.

.......Neil

Southern Kit Car Club

DavidW

posted on 11/1/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Any update?
Nash

posted on 13/1/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Side Repeaters for IVA UPDATE from VOSA

Just got off the phone with VOSA and had a very informative conversation with Mark from Technical Support.

The rule is that the indicator repeater must be within an "Angle of Visability" of between 5 degrees and 60 degrees from the rear of the car. These details can be found in Section 20 Installation of Lights in the IVA manual.

Also note the minimum dimension from the side of the car rule does not apply to repeaters.

He loves the idea of having them integrated into the rear view mirrors and sees this as a very good solution.

I did find onthe interweb an american commpany that sells LEDs for the side mirrors but they are mucho expensive and didn't look very good.

So I for one am going to go the LED repeater in the wing mirror route.

Hope that helps good people.

.........Neil

[Edited on 13/1/10 by Nash]

Southern Kit Car Club

Macbeast

posted on 14/1/10 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...
I suppose it depends what height the view is taken from. These might pass ...
23 months in
23 months in

But why do they need to see the side repeaters from the back of the car when they can see the rear indicator lights ??

[Edited on 14/1/10 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

DavidW

posted on 24/1/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done this.

Image deleted by owner

Could be worse I reckon?

dnmalc

posted on 31/5/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Has any one considered mounting them in the back of the headlamps this would seem to meet the angle of visibility and put them within 400mm of the edge if this is required.
sebastiaan

posted on 31/5/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't this a possible solution? If it's good enough for Donkervoort....

eddie99

posted on 31/5/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Gavin174 passed his IVA a few days ago with his repeaters on the back of the headlamp unit.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
PeteS2k

posted on 31/5/10 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
Isn't this a possible solution? If it's good enough for Donkervoort....

That's what I did on mine...

Not the best photo to show it, but you get the idea. I went this route largely because of the very thin front cycle wings on the Rush. I was going to make them temporary, but thought they looked ok in the end.

The watch-point on this approach is they need to be no more than 2600mm from the front of the vehicle.

stevegough

posted on 5/6/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nash
Did it actually state the front wings?

I was going to buy some wing mirrors with repeaters built in from CBS as a solutio to side repeaters!

I really don't want them on the front wings!

just looked at these mirrors with repeaters - don't think IVA guys will be impressed as they face forward (as far as I can make out). As the other guys on here have said, 5deg to 60deg is the required visibility from the rear - and you must be able to see at least half of the 'effective area' of the repeater.

Shame, but - there you go.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Nash

posted on 6/6/10 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I ended up with the repeaters on the front wings! As mine failed the first time with them on he scuttle. passed now with cycle wing outside edge position.

IVA examiner actually said the scuttle was a neatr solution but not visable from 5 degrees below at rear due to rear arch.

Note, the VOSA guidence notes the examiner uses states must be visable +/- 420mm from repeater position. This means 420mm down which in effect means you need to ne able to see it from about 6 inches (150mm ) off the ground from the rear. This means the repeater in effect has to be on the outside edge of the car or very high.

.................Neil

Southern Kit Car Club

G.I Ginge

posted on 11/9/14 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
My GTS Panther is just in for its first MOT. It does NOT have side repeaters- just front and rears, and yet it has clearly passed its IVA as I can tax it and it's in the DVLA database. How can this be? Am I somehow exempt from this requirement? The car is registered on a 61 plate, but was given a Q plate before that. Would that impact anything?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.