Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scots dislike overtaking
coyoteboy

posted on 3/3/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Scots dislike overtaking

I've lived here a while now and this is something I've come to learn through experience.

On a nice open, dry NSL you meet someone doing 40mph. Wishing to move at a higher speed you choose to overtake, look, check, indicate, overtake, pass cleanly and swiftly, pull back in miles from person to be followed by a barrage of flashing lights and fingers waved. And if you're unlucky enough to have chosen a time when there's someone coming the other way too, despite them being half a mile off, you get abuse from them too.

Come to a NSL road with broken-outline cross hatching designed to allow peole in a southerly direction to turn right (a whole lorry-width lane cross hatched in the middle). Person doing 30 in the NSL, not going anywhere fast. White van coming the other way but some way off, person in front not about to turn right (old woman, won't be entering the brickworks and isn't indicating to do so). I indicate, pull out into the hatching (which is legal if you've checked it's safe to do so, which I had and it was). Almost completed my overtake, pulling back in, when the van driver gets to about 300 yards off and starts full beaming me and giving me the finger despite the fact that I'm pretty much back in my lane and have absolutely no impact on him whatsoever.

What is up with these people? Why does it seem that a significant proportion of people up here dislike people overtaking them or overtaking anywhere near them? I've driven all over the UK and never met an attitude like it! I'm not the kind of guy who goes for mental overtakes, I've a fairly slow car so I tend to go for ones that are safe, easy and obvious - if I were buzzing around people on a tight twisty NSL country road I could understand people getting twitchy but these are fecking roman-road straight, wide clear roads. Very odd.

lewis

posted on 3/3/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
That's because your in a very odd part of the country ;-)
deezee

posted on 3/3/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
What brick works was it, might know the road. Its not just in Scotland. People are like that everywhere. Whats worse I've noticed is when someone overtakes and people blindly follow, thats just crazy.

Incidentally, I believe its against the highway code to use a hatched area, designed to separate traffic, for overtaking. the Sky program, Traffic Cops were recently pulling drivers over for this. Personally I think its a bit of a grey area.

mcerd1

thats glasgow for you, there a bit weird over there

and here's the rule in the code:
quote:
You MUST NOT overtake

•if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 129)
•if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic, if it is surrounded by a solid white line

[Edited on 3/3/2011 by mcerd1]

-

zoom

How did you know that these people are scots?

mycar
mybuildsite

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 3/3/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I sometimes see it in Worcestershire. Perfectly safe overtake of someone doing 30 or 40 in a NSL. Flashing lights and "hand signals" from the person overtaken. I put it down to the ignorance of the other person.

SeaBass

posted on 3/3/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't that be "Persons from the West of Scotland dislike you overtaking them?".

Personally I don't entering boxes/driving over a box designated for a right turn for many reasons. How do you know that the person isn't doing 30 because they are looking for the entrance to the industrial site and won't suddenly indicate and pull over? Another fact is that at this time of year usually unused parts of the carriageway are full of debris which gets kicked onto cars your overtaking.

On the flip side - some drivers do truly believe they own the road and don't like you overtaking or carrying out any other manoeuvre.

My personal bugbear is people who try to overtake as you get towards a NSL sign while still in a 30 zone. They start overtaking then once I get past the NSL sign I start modest acceleration - they sit alongside and have nowhere to go but not my issue!

2p handed over.

ken555

posted on 3/3/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Around here they seem to want to speed up once you are along side them.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 3/3/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

the red ones p!ss me off. i dont mean all red cars, but the ones in my drawing, where i'm the blue one wanting to turn up the road. happens quite a lot, in fact, ever time theres car in that order.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

nick205

posted on 3/3/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly not limited to Scotland in my experience. Some drivers just don't like it plain and simple and get riled when it happens. Dispensing a cheery smile and wave on the way past normaly makes me feel much better about the whole thing

coyoteboy

posted on 3/3/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I should have had a "?" on the thread title to be fair I suppose!

For your discussion...
One overtake, using first hatched area, which was clean and not full of rubbish, (right turn in hatched area in the middle distance is the right turn to an industrial unit), further down there's a house driveway on the right but that's much nearer the other end and the speed difference between me and the car being overtaken was big enough that I was back in before the end of the right turn to the brickworks, either way the driver I overtook was not turning right. In this case it was a van coming the other way that got upset and he was at the far end of the second hatched area in the distance when I was pulling back in. Driver being overtaken didn't care on this one.
http://tinyurl.com/6y4s9t7

Second one:
http://tinyurl.com/6zgl9dy

Nothing coming the other way, clear road, dry, other car doing 40mph in the NSL. Right turn is right down near the white dot of a van here, but that's plenty clear enough to overtake IMO. Car I overtook got REALLY upset and was flashing lights and having a fit.

Baffled.

[Edited on 3/3/11 by coyoteboy]

nick205

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the first one, I don't know the outright legality of overtaking or even entering the hatched area, but would ALWAYS assume it's there to indicate you should stay in your own lane until the road returns to normal with the appropriate broken centre lines.

Looking at the second one I can't see an issue provided (as you say) the conditions and traffic allow. The road does look relatively narrow though and some drivers might feel a bit squeezed as you overtake - their issue IMHO. It may also be the case that the driver was totally unaware you had arrived behind him/her and only clocked you when you were alongside making them jump. Again their issue IMHO.

[Edited on 3/3/11 by nick205]

coyoteboy

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Looking at the first one, I don't know the outright legality of overtaking or even entering the hatched area, but would ALWAYS assume it's there to indicate you should stay in your own lane until the road returns to normal with the appropriate broken centre lines.

The highway code designates broken hatched areas as usable if it's safe and necessary, not to be used as a general lane. Considering the solid white bordered ones are "must not" overtake except if there's something <10mph there or an emergency, in order to be different the broken whites must allow sensible overtaking. I'd not have gone for it if it were a van etc in case they may have been entering the brickworks, or of course if they were indicating.

Second one is more narrow, definitely, but still plenty wide enough. Wouldn't want to go for it in the wet or with a wide vehicle like a wagon to overtake.

ReMan

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was actively encouraged by the IAM to use the hatched area for overtaking (when safe of course) as so few road users realise this is legal

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The highway code designates broken hatched areas as usable if it's safe and necessary, not to be used as a general lane. Considering the solid white bordered ones are "must not" overtake except if there's something <10mph there or an emergency, in order to be different the broken whites must allow sensible overtaking. I'd not have gone for it if it were a van etc in case they may have been entering the brickworks, or of course if they were indicating.

Like I say I don't know the legalities here, just how I would treat that or similar situations

nick205

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I was actively encouraged by the IAM to use the hatched area for overtaking (when safe of course) as so few road users realise this is legal

That's pretty interesting!

It just goes against my instinct though.

MikeRJ

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

I use them if there's no other opportunity to get past a slowster, but it's almost guaranteed to upset someone who is ignorant of the law. They also tend to collect a lot of crap due to the lack of traffic over them, so you need to be careful, especially on a bike or a 7!

A1

posted on 3/3/11 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
its this new self righteous 'person' thats on our roads...usually found in a p(r)ious, who does the limit exactly to the number, or about 10 mph under the limit and therefore nobody should be going faster than them. Ive had it where they see you coming up the outside then pull out doing the exact limit and NOTHING will make them move in and let you pass, unless you undertake. which i dont.
ed1801

posted on 3/3/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
NOTHING will make them move in and let you pass, unless you undertake. which i dont.

Ah ha! You need one of these then: http://www.pbmissions.com/

I put a big nautilus horn on my motorbike and I'm so glad I did. It scares me - and I know what's going to happen when i push the button.

skodaman

posted on 3/3/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh D.C. wasn't much good at overtaking.

Skodaman

thunderace

posted on 3/3/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
my mate has a r32 and if you try to overtake him he hangs you out to die he wont let you past ,he floor it and makes you pull in behind him.he drives at the speed limit on B roads and says they should no be speeding to pass him so foook them.i have told him he will get someone killed one day.
karlak

posted on 3/3/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
my mate has a r32 and if you try to overtake him he hangs you out to die he wont let you past ,he floor it and makes you pull in behind him.he drives at the speed limit on B roads and says they should no be speeding to pass him so foook them.i have told him he will get someone killed one day.

Hopefully that someone will be him,,, What a knob !!!

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

scootz

posted on 3/3/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
My two pet hates are:

Folk driving in the offside lane of a dual carriageway when the nearside lane is empty.

Folk not using the full stretch of road when approaching dual-carriageway roadworks... why bother creating a mile-long queue of traffic in a single-lane when you could use BOTH lanes right up to the blockage (unless a merge-in-turn sign comes first) and then merge-in-turn like the Highway Code tells us to do!

No, we'll have a single lane of traffic and we'll snarl up the hazard further by refusing to let cars in the closing lane come back in, heck - we might even have some bam-pot straddling lanes a bit further back to block others!

Try either in Germany and you'll be driven off the road!

It's Evolution Baby!

Benzine

posted on 3/3/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
When I drove my old truck in Scotland I'd cruise at 40mph. Huge queue of cars behind me and every single time I'd come to a HUGE stretch of clear road nobody would overtake me. Ever. "What are you doing?! Go go go go go!!.... *long wait* .... fine, whatever"

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

mcerd1

posted on 3/3/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
^^ the A9 and A82 are classic examples

there will be some daft tourist pottering along at 40mph (with or without a caravan) and 10 cars behind him who won't overtake (possibly including more tourists) then one car (often an audi) who'll try and pass all of them in one go round a blind corner at 100mph+ (i.e. the worst passing spot on the road, yet to see one of them get squashed by a lorry, but I've seen some very close calls and there a plenty of crashes every week)

for the non-suicidal drivers who actually want to get somewhere the same day it means having to jusm 2 or 3 cars at a time (assuming they've left you enough space to pull back in safely)

back in my student days I used to drive tractors as a summer job - its amazing how many folk won't overtake you, even when your doing 20mph and indicating left

but top of my personal pet hates is the guy 'one speed' who overtakes you in a 30/40 limit when you are diving at the limit (normally only a few hundred yards through a village)
then a minuite later back in the NSL your stuck behind them doing 50mph - then to cap it off give you the dirty look/light flashing treatment when you manage to pass him (which may take a while because they always do it before the twisty bits)

someone does that to me every other day on my way back from work

[Edited on 3/3/2011 by mcerd1]

-

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.