Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help stupid car broken again :(
firebladetim

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
help stupid car broken again :(

i have a westy megablade not had it long,got it running fine now been out a few times and its been great,went out in it tonight got about a mile down the road and just lost all power and coasted to a stop,tryed to start it and all i got was a click from the starter,still had power to run the hazard lights and head lights were bright so plenty of juice in the battery,it is the first time i have driven with the lights on dont know if this had anything to do with,any help would be great thanks
eddie99

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you located? Might help if someone local comes and have a look over it.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
NigeEss

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
First thing 'd check would be the main earth to the engine.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Could be the Voltage Regulator
cerbera

posted on 6/6/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Put your location in your profile. There maybe someone on your doorstep who could help.
mad4x4

posted on 7/6/12 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
SOunds like like flat battery, or Bad earths to Engine or Starter.

Battery could be flat due to Altnernator not charging rather than battery knackered.

[Edited on 7/606/12 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

ReMan

posted on 7/6/12 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
You never told us what you did to fix it?
Have you disturbed something during your repairs?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

andyfiggy2002

posted on 7/6/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like the lights put extra load on the system, bet you its the regulator/ rectifier or the connectors are burned out so that your battery hasn't been charging up, you might have enough power for the lights but not enough to turn the engine over

[Edited on 7/6/12 by andyfiggy2002]

firebladetim

posted on 7/6/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
i fixed the last problem by changing the fuel pump (now zzr1100 pump) plug caps and leads and new coil packs and exhaust,all that did the trick,and now got this new problem oh the joys of a kit car thanks again for your help
charlie_pank

posted on 7/6/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Tim, you need to start trying to diagnose the problem.

Why won't the starter turn over? - If you try getting a jumpstart or using another battery, does it work? If yes, then your battery doesn't have enough charge in it.

Why doesn't your battery have enough charge in it. Is something discharging it excessively? Is it getting charged properly when the engine is running? etc...

firebladetim

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
cheers mate i am charging it over night and will go from there,i will keep you posted
leemarkadams

posted on 8/6/12 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I live in Emsworth, so not too far away and may be able to get over your way to give you a hand in the next week or so, however here is what i would do:

1. Check the battery voltage after it is charged (should be 12V +).
2. Start the car, and give the throttle a quick blip to ensure the alternator clutch is locked (if it has one).
3. Check the voltage at the battery again, should be about 14V (If this is the case then the alternator is charging the battery).
4. If the alternator is charging the battery and the battery does not hold the charge then the battery may well be knackered, so take it to a local garage and get them to test the cells on the battery.

Starter for 10........

firebladetim

posted on 8/6/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
ok guys i have charged the battery,with nothing running its got 12.9v with engine running its 12.5v with engine running and all lights on its 12.1, this all sounds a bit low right
Does this mean my regulator is a wimp and cant handle running the engine and the lights,so would a new one solve that or is it a battery problem or a problem with something else,also if it is the regulator what is a good replacement one or should i just go for standard fireblade item

[Edited on 8/6/12 by firebladetim]

timcrasher

posted on 8/6/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
It does sound like the regulator/rectifier. These are prone to failure on Fireblades of a certain age. You can get a pattern item as a direct replacement for around £60 on Ebay etc. Or if you want to upgrade you can fit a late 07 onwards CBR600RR Mosfet regulator. These may need the wiring conectors altering, but don't get hot and fail like the standard blade ones. This is a popular upgrade for many Hondas and non Hondas especially Italian bikes.
Another popular regulator upgrade is a GL1200 Goldwing regulator. These have an ignition sensing wire( needs connecting to an ignition switched feed) These cope with bigger the loading from the electrical tat goldwing owners adorn their bikes with. They are an older type regulator, but have the standard Honda wiring.
Just make sure that if you go for the CBR600RR one it is a Mosfet one ( has a FHxxxxx number on the side) and not a older Shindengen model ( has a SHxxxxx number on the side), as these displace alot of heat and don't last long.

charlie_pank

posted on 8/6/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Charging system consists of generator, regulator/rectifier and the battery. The reg/rec is a known weak point, but it's worth testing to figure out which bit is failing before shelling out for parts.

The fireblade haynes manual will tell you how to check the generator. Without looking at it I would guess you need to figure out which of the 3 wires that feeds the reg/rec comes from the generator, then link it up to a multimeter and measure the voltage between it and earth while the engine is running (keeping it connected to the reg/rec all the while). You'll probably need an oscilloscope to check it properly, but it's a start... (eg. if you see nothing, you know there's a problem with your wiring or the gen is totally dead!

firebladetim

posted on 8/6/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
cheers guys
ReMan

posted on 8/6/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
As sort of mentioned anothjer week poit is the connector from the alternator
Trace the 3 yellow wires from it and find whow they have been joined to the lookm
The voltages you post say not charging at all

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Furyblade_Lee

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have unfortunately become an expert in stator generator / rectifier failiures, if you are still having problems call me on 07801 495568 and I will talk you throughly testing everything! Lee 07801 495568
40inches

posted on 18/6/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
This may help Testing charging system
This may be better

[Edited on 18-6-12 by 40inches]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.