Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield Busa Turbo won't start (no spark)
mk1_salami

posted on 20/11/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield Busa Turbo won't start (no spark)

Hi guys,

I had hoped to join up here and my first post to be under different circumstances but hopefully someone can help me out. I bought a Westfield SEIW on Saturday which has been converted to run a Holeshot racing turbo hayabusa engine, with an MBE 9A4 ECU and what appears to be this harness:

I had the car at Knockhill and it was running fine all day, but in the afternoon it simply stopped working and came to a spluttering stop, spitting flames out of the exhaust. I've checked and the car is getting fuel, but there is no spark at all.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to check? My immediate thought was that the crank position sensor is faulty?

Nick DV

posted on 20/11/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
There could be plenty of reasons for this (stating the obvious) but this harness is like the one SBD use http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Hayabusa/hayabusa_wiring_management_systems.htm

Give them a call, I believe they are very helpful.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

paublo999

posted on 20/11/12 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the programming cable?

If so, fire up the software and I would check for a crank signal first off

If not, I think you will end up buying one just so that you can diagnose stuff like this. Not cheap either as it hooks up via can.

Edit - are you central belt? If so drop me a pm and may be able to help.

Cheers
Paul

[Edited on 20/11/12 by paublo999]

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

twybrow

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Check some of the obvious things first. Has the engine earth come loose? My BEC wouldn't start after a run out, and it turned out that the crimped engine earth cable had come out of the terminal - so no engine earth. Also check you haven't blown a fuse (you probably checked this already).

I find these are usually simpler problems than you first suspect! Good luck!

mk1_salami

posted on 21/11/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help so far. I've checked the obvious things and can't see any loose wires. The chassis ground is firmly attached to the engine block. I can't see where the wire goes for the crank angle sensor, so I suspect that may be the problem. What does the ECU need to send a signal to the coils? I'd imagine it'd need to know when to spark, so if the signal from the crank is not working it'll not work.

I checked and the cable is £120 - lovely!

Going to have a better look at it on Saturday during the day and see if anything jumps out at me. What are the two relays in the loom for? I'd think one is for the fuel pump but not sure what the other is for.

Also Paublo999 - I'm in Fife so not a million miles away. Thanks for the offer. I'll see how we get on on Saturday and report back.

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/11/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for crank sensor (maybe cam)
paublo999

posted on 21/11/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic if the cam sensor isn't connected as it may be running wasted spark. No worries regarding the cable. Would just plug in my laptop and see if we can get a crank signal.

Cheers

mk1_salami

posted on 21/11/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
The cam sensor is plugged in, as is everything else that I can see. Do you have a CAN cable? As a side note - just been watching your hill climb videos. Makes me want to give it a shot! (when I have a working car of course!)
paublo999

posted on 21/11/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. I have the cable and software.

Pm me your details and we can look at getting it to you

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.