Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR sump clearance
Yellow Peril

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR sump clearance

I have recently bought a GSXR K3 powered MK Indy and am delighted with it. However, one issue/concern is the very low ground clearance to the sump plug. Anyone got any ideas or solutions that dont involve mega wonga or tractor tyres..?
Dopdog

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
how low is low?
Yellow Peril

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
It's not horrific...yet (I'll have to measure it). As a reference it currently just clears a low sleeping policeman, but I want to change the wheel/tyre combo from 205 40 R17's to 195 50 R15's and that will reduce clearance even more (10mm I think). I hear there are kits you can get to raise the sump or reduce it in size.

[Edited on 15/3/13 by Yellow Peril]

Dopdog

posted on 15/3/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
next question what sump is fitted at the moment? pictures are good
loony

posted on 15/3/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Peril
I want to change the wheel/tyre combo from 205 40 R17's to 195 55 R15's and that will reduce clearance even more (10mm I think).

When you change wheel/tyre to 195/55R15 then wheel diameter will change about -0,3mm... so if you fit new tyres they will be larger than your actual setup with part used tyres (205/40R17) for few mm of "brand new" thread...

Lucas

Yellow Peril

posted on 15/3/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I just realised I miss typed that the tyres I want are actually 195 50 R15's so about 20mm smaller dia. Will aim to take pics over weekend
Sloan85

posted on 15/3/13 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Keen to find out how much clearance you have got. Building a gsxr k1 indy at the minute and I can see the sump sticks well below the chassis and I've not got the wheels yet.
blowden86

posted on 18/3/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Same issue myself with a K3, only have about an inch and 1/2 of clearance off the ground on 15's. Cheapest solution I've found so far without bodging the current sump is to change to a swinging pick up sump. On Ebay for £500 Or if you're flush you could convert to a dry sump, expect £2K+. Not sure if adjusting the suspension will give me any additional clearance, will post here again once I've done some more research!

My MK Indy R GSXR 1000 Build Diary: http://www.suma-uk.com/indy/

Dopdog

posted on 19/3/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Are you guys using the standard sump?
Yellow Peril

posted on 19/3/13 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Yes std sump on mine - not had a chance to take photos yet, but think I've got more than 1.5" though.. What Tyres have you got on your 15" wheels Blowden86 ?
blowden86

posted on 19/3/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've got Toyo Proxies T1R's but as I mentioned as I'm still during build so the suspension may need adjusting. I've currently got 3 1/2 inches of clearance (to the chassis) at the front end and 6 inches at the back, not sure if that's standard but I'll be taking the car back to MK for final setup once I'm ready. Would appreciate any comments on general clearance to the chassis as that might solve the issue!

Yellow Peril

posted on 19/3/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I checked out your build diary - impressive. From the photos of the wheels it looks like you've gone for 195 50 r15's which would give slightly reduced clearance compared to mine with the current 17" wheel/205 40 tyre combo I am running. I want to switch to 15" wheels with 195 55's which will give the same rolling diameter. 195 50's are my preference but the ground clearance issue is putting me off. We're virtually surrounded by blessed speed humps and cushions here. Just one more road and I won't be able to get out except on a trailer
blowden86

posted on 19/3/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Why thank you! It's in desperate need of an update but I prefer to spend the majority of my spare time working on the car opposed to being sat in front of the computer. However these cold dark nights are not the best time to be in the garage anyway!

Ah right sorry I didn't really answer your question about tyres then, but yes I expect you're right on the sizes. I'm mentally busy with work this week so won't get a chance to call up MK until Friday but once I've got some feedback I'll post it up here. Unless anyone beats me to it then I'll be interested to know!

And yes all the speed bumps are very worrying, especially with a BEC with electric reverse for attempting a 3 point turn when you come across one you don't dare attempt to cross...

Yellow Peril

posted on 19/3/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've no reverse..yet, but am now beginning to think it would come in handy. Plenty of folks say you just need to think and plan ahead but I'm not that forward thinking..
raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK INDY R GSXR 1000 K5. Now sold..... Ready for th

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
i have a gsxr 1000 k5 and have just bought a wet sump and swinging pickup

its a billet sump (well engineered) with a swinging pick up its £452 but if you ring up and pay by card then they dont have to pay the ebay fees think i got it for about £390 i also got a baffle plate to go in as i started doing track days

ebay item number 220999258112

The other option is to cut the piece thats hangin down on the sump and have it rewelded flush with the plug put back in you just need a good ally welder just need to check where and how far down the pick up goes its not the best but it will prob cost you about £30

if your doing track days then you will need to baffle it hope these help

blowden86

posted on 1/4/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers raptor! I've since spoken to Danny at MK and they just shorten them and weld on a plate on the bottom. Apparently this only looses about 100ml of volume, and you'll make some of that back up with the additional piping where the oil cooler is relocated in front of the radiator.

I'm still being indecisive though, I won't be doing track days but I'll still be driving her pretty hard! The last thing I want to do is blow the engine with a modified sump due to oil starvation, so maybe the wet swinging pick up is the way forward. Now I just need to justify the cost in my head :S

Dopdog

posted on 1/4/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I run a jedi with a flat sump and overfill the oil, we run them to 3000rpm and fill to the top of the sight glass. Question is do any of you guys over fill your oil?
Yellow Peril

posted on 7/4/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
So having finally had plenty of opportunity to get out and about this weekend I'm pleased to say I don't think the sump clearance (or lack of it) is going to present too big a problem as long as I manage to avoid speed cushions (those pads most of us straddle in standard cars). The clearance is about 110mm but it's not much behind the front wheels.

I've also been thinking a bit more about my wheel/tyre combo. The 205 40 r17's look fabulous [img] [/img]but the combination has a tendency to want to throw me into a field at each and every encounter of a stone, bump, pothole or any other surface inperfection.

I've got some 15" wheels I may swap over and put some 195 55 r 155 tyres on.

Any thoughts ? What rubber do you recommend I consider for spirited dry road use ? Are there any alternatives to Toyo Proxes TR1's ?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.