Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kliktronic gearshifter
angliamotorsport

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Kliktronic gearshifter

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the kliktronic system, and in particular, leaving the push/pull manual gearshift still connected.
Does it cause any problems or excessive drag.
The reason I am asking is I think using the manual lever when driving slowly is less severe on the transmission but just wanted to have your thoughts.

40inches

posted on 6/8/14 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I did exactly that. Worked OK and surprised a few passengers as the gear lever moved by itself
I took the Kliktronic off, not because there was any problems, but because I was using the stick just about all of the time.
I would think the Kliktronic is more useful for track days, or if a mechanical change is impractical.
The gear lever will have to be pretty long to get the 25mm up/down movement for the Kliktronic.
Prop adaptor fitted
Prop adaptor fitted

angliamotorsport

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
kliktronic

Thanks 40inches, I use the car sometimes for hillclimbs in France and need to drive on public roads slowly, so thats when I would prefer to use the lever. Yes I can understand passenger being amused watching the lever going back and forth.
Cheers.

40inches

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I suppose you are talking about the Van Diemen? Single seater? No need to provide in car entertainment for a passenger then?
I found that Pit Bike 10mm gear levers fit perfectly. Plenty on eBay and cheap. Just get a steel one, not the ally ones made out of cheese

angliamotorsport

posted on 6/8/14 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
There is space for a passenger, had one last year when driving down to the town for scrutineering. Quite a lot of fun driving in the traffic but you do feel really low when you drive past parked cars. The Kliktronic has the ignition interrupt fitted as well. I am sure there are other systems that are "smart" and adjust the cut time to match the revs but way out of mu budget.
gingerprince

posted on 6/8/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly that setup and for that exact reason - it's too harsh when pootling through town, and it's also easier to find neutral with a stick. e.g. below you can see "ghost changes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSoxoG1x0r4

My manual setup is actually a bit crap ( caveat: I didn't build it ) so it's got more "stiction" than I would like but the Kliktronic still copes. So as long as your setup if pretty free then there should be no issue.

angliamotorsport

posted on 7/8/14 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yes watched the video which prompted a couple of questions.
On one or two occasions when changing up there is an odd noise, not sure what is causing that
and are you using the clutch going down the gears.
You probably don't notice but it is quite strange watching the lever going back and forth.
Thanks for your comments, exactly what I wanted.

gingerprince

posted on 7/8/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by angliamotorsport
Yes watched the video which prompted a couple of questions.
On one or two occasions when changing up there is an odd noise, not sure what is causing that
and are you using the clutch going down the gears.
You probably don't notice but it is quite strange watching the lever going back and forth.
Thanks for your comments, exactly what I wanted.

Not sure what noise you mean? Unless you mean when I miss the gear, hit a false neutral and bounce off the limiter? That's basically caused by me not holding the paddle in long enough (needs to be held until the gear's complete, but it's easy to accidentally adopt playstation mode and just tap it).

Yes I use clutch for downshifts, I don't have the auto blipper.

angliamotorsport

posted on 7/8/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I did not want to suggest you had missed a gear, as you explained, not holding the paddle in long enough to make the change.
Sounds like you have to make a firm positive movement on the paddle, something for me to keep in mind.
Cheers.

gingerprince

posted on 7/8/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's not so much firm as long enough. It's just a button activated by a paddle. You just have to ensure the solenoid is applying force until the gearchange is complete. If you're clever you could probably create a latching circuit that means a momentary press on the button powers the actuator for a defined period of time to cover a full shift. Or just remember to hold it long enough

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.