Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bit of a scare
turbodisplay

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a scare

Had a miss today with a motorbike, only saw him/her at the last moment due to the low sunlight. Would have seen the bike much sooner if they were wearing hi vis and/or headlights on. Having a best friend that used to ride, last thing to I would ever want to do is hit a bike.
It is amazing that driving a large car can be invisible to some other car drivers, so just saying bikers/7 drivers think about making yourself as visible as possible. I always drive a car with headlights on in with low sunlight.
Have a good weekend all!

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daf

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good of you to admit your error! Most people on the internet forums are driving wonders who never make a mistake! My best friend had a Tesco van pull out on him 9 weeks ago - he'll never walk again, everyone take care out there.
turbodisplay

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
My friend only rides on the track now, too many near misses. Having a friend who rides makes it very real to look out for bikes. The only time I have ever had contact with a bike is whilst stationary in traffic and he rode into my mirror when filtering through traffic!
I bought a car camera so it will be interesting to see, looking again, how I could have seen him sooner. I think that approaching the junction differently in low sun may be the anwser.

Darren

P.s. Daf sorry to hear about your friend, not nice in the slightest.

[Edited on 28/8/15 by turbodisplay]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Shooter63

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yup fair game for the hands up there, I must admit that one of the main reasons for me selling my bike recently was too many close shaves, I could never work out how someone didn't here me coming as the bike ran an open reverse cone megaphone, I always ran with the lights on, but still had too many " sorry mate didn't see you" type lines. I've long thought that it should be compulsory for every driver be made to ride a bike for at least a month before being given a car licence, at least then they would know what it is like.

Shooter

Daf

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Someone posted this brilliant article on here recently, well worth a read if you have 5 minutes

http://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-fighter-pilots-guide-to-surviving-on-the-roads

chrisxr2

posted on 28/8/15 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Amazes me Shen you see bikers on the road in any conditions without all available lights on.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

turbodisplay

posted on 28/8/15 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just viewed the footage, cannot see the bike any sooner than I did, biker in black, no lights, was covered by the shadow of the trees, low sunlight glare reduced visibility.
Which is personally flipping scary, at least if I missed him I can say next time do better. Would say taking junction slower and looking multiple times, or avoiding the junction at certain times.
Maybe clean the windscreen ( which is fairly clean) inside and out every week so the glare is minimised.
Stay safe guys.
Darren

owelly

posted on 29/8/15 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a few near-misses on my bike. Most scary was a couple of miles from home returning from a 14 day tour of Europe. Me, swmbo and all our camping gear on the bike. Leaving a 30 limit, opened the taps ready for the blast home. I could see a milk tanker leaving a farm and pulling-up at the roadside. I eased off the throttle until the tanker driver looked my way. We made eye contact so I opened the taps again.... then he pulled out. He looked again, saw me so stomped on the brake which left him across the road totally blocking it. I grabbed the brakes and stood the bike on its head but had to swerve behind the tanker which put me on the grass verge, which meant I had to let go of the brakes. Bushes, trees, clumps of grass, more bushes, a ditch, some bollards and a road sign all got involved before I finally ended-up back on the road. The tanker just drove off. We stopped for a de-brief....
I always ride assuming that every other road user is trying to kill me but this time, I left my guard down and it almost killed me and the missus.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.