Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric oil extraction pump project, help!
bigbravedave

posted on 9/9/17 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Electric oil extraction pump project, help!

I've got a large industrial diesel electric fuel pump. Its great for draining fuel tanks, oil tanks etc as it self primes through long lengths of smallish bore hose in seconds. Which got me thinking i could try using it as an engine oil extraction pump. Can anyone suggest where i can buy the skinny hose that feeds down the dipstick tube on oil extraction pumps. Ive got to be honest, ive never struggled removing a sump plug to do oil changes andi guess you get more oil out, however I fancy having a go at making an electric oil extraction pump but dont know where to buy the skinny hose, i wonder if its just bowden cable

Thanks

Slimy38

posted on 9/9/17 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
My Pela uses one of those tubes that is a metal spiral with a plastic coating. I guess I'd normally expect a throttle cable or similar to be running inside it. Is that you call a Bowden cable?

I'd have preferred a thicker tube though, when I build up the suction I'm still waiting for it to draw the fluid up. It doesn't make it any more effort but it does take a long time. Even having to lift the car, put a catch can underneath, removing the plug, letting it drain, and cleaning up is still quicker than the Pela!

rusty nuts

posted on 9/9/17 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have some pneumatic pipe that may be of use but would have to check the diameter , I think it may be 8mm? . My vacuum unit has three different sized pipe , 10mm, 8mm and 6mm with a short piece of rubber hose as a connector .
Andybarbet

posted on 10/9/17 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Any idea.on the internal & external diameter you require ?

I may have some nylon tubing that's of use.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

RedAvon

posted on 10/9/17 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
I believe it is the same as the white curtain wire you use to hang net curtains. Hollow,metal spiral with plastic coating.

Ian

Bricoleur

nick205

posted on 11/9/17 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
My Pela uses one of those tubes that is a metal spiral with a plastic coating. I guess I'd normally expect a throttle cable or similar to be running inside it. Is that you call a Bowden cable?

I'd have preferred a thicker tube though, when I build up the suction I'm still waiting for it to draw the fluid up. It doesn't make it any more effort but it does take a long time. Even having to lift the car, put a catch can underneath, removing the plug, letting it drain, and cleaning up is still quicker than the Pela!

My Pela is the same.

Being familiar with bicycles it reminds me of brake or gear cable outer sheath. Small enough Ø to fit down a dipstick tube and flexible enough to coil up when not being used.

ebay, Halfords and bike shops sell it pretty cheap - worth a try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.