Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive materials that are cat maintenance compatible
Slimy38

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Drive materials that are cat maintenance compatible

We're looking to get our drive done, but I want to make sure it doesn't limit my car building/maintenance options. I'm mainly thinking about jacks and stands not sinking into the drive, and being able to move the jack quite easily.

A concrete slab I think would be the strongest surface, but my wife won't want it (and if I'm honest I don't either). Anything brick or tile related wouldn't carry the weight of a car concentrated on the wheels of a jack.

Resin bound gravel ones look nice, but I can't find anything about their load bearing capacity. I could just ignore the load bearing capabilities and get a large sheet of wood to do work on, that could then be stored once I'm done.

Is there anything else that I could consider? What do you non-garage owning builders have as a work surface?

theduck

posted on 7/3/19 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Imprinted concrete? Loads of designs and colours available

[img]https://www.protechsealants.co.uk/ekmps/shops/protechsealants/images/pattern-imprinted-concrete-sealer-matt-finish-5ltr--[2]-308-p.jpg[/img]

40inches

posted on 7/3/19 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Properly laid block paving will be OK. Never had a problem servicing the SAAB or Jag over 20 years
Description
Description

theconrodkid

posted on 7/3/19 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
how,s about a sheet of plywood under the stands so it spreads the load and dont sink in ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Slimy38

posted on 7/3/19 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
how,s about a sheet of plywood under the stands so it spreads the load and dont sink in ?

Yeah that's the leader at the moment, it means we're not restricted in the drive type. I'd just need somewhere to store the plywood.

Slimy38

posted on 7/3/19 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Properly laid block paving will be OK. Never had a problem servicing the SAAB or Jag over 20 years
Description
Description

Interesting, if you're able to lift a Jag then they must be strong enough for anything.

James

posted on 7/3/19 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this website:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

It may give the figures you want and even if it doesn't it gives lots of advice on what to expect from your contractors. Even simple things like insisting on a membrane going on top of the soil to keep the sand integrity.

Cheers,
James

ETA: I would still put a board down whatever material driveway I had as I wouldnt want the jack/stands to damage the blocks!!!

[Edited on 7/3/19 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 7/3/19 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Description
Description

Ditto

Had this done 6-7 years ago and have used my trolley jack and axle stands on it many times without an issue. Make sure you have it laid properly and it'll stay in place and flat for a long long rime. A wide range of block colours to choose from and a decent paver will lay a decent pattern as well. After having ours done our neighbour then used the same paver to have theirs done as well.

theconrodkid

posted on 7/3/19 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that's the leader at the moment, it means we're not restricted in the drive type. I'd just need somewhere to store the plywood.

i was thinking a couple of squares to go under the stand,s feet, not an 8X4 sheet

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

40inches

posted on 7/3/19 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Description
Description

Ditto

Had this done 6-7 years ago and have used my trolley jack and axle stands on it many times without an issue. Make sure you have it laid properly and it'll stay in place and flat for a long long rime. A wide range of block colours to choose from and a decent paver will lay a decent pattern as well. After having ours done our neighbour then used the same paver to have theirs done as well.

Yep! Had the Jag and a SAAB 9-5 diesel estate on 4 axle stands many times. The blocks were laid around Y2000 and still OK when we moved out in 2017

Slimy38

posted on 7/3/19 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i was thinking a couple of squares to go under the stand,s feet, not an 8X4 sheet

There's not enough clearance. I can only just get a low height jack under the car at the moment, if I pad it out with a plywood square it wouldn't get under the car. At least a big sheet could go down, the car could go on top then I'd have the freedom to work on the whole front of the car (or the rear depending on what was needed)

James

posted on 7/3/19 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

There's not enough clearance. I can only just get a low height jack under the car at the moment, if I pad it out with a plywood square it wouldn't get under the car. At least a big sheet could go down, the car could go on top then I'd have the freedom to work on the whole front of the car (or the rear depending on what was needed)

Jacking mine is a 2 jack job.

I start with a small scissor jack under the nose-cone mount and just with fingers can raise the car an inch or 2 with that which is then enough to get a normal jack under!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

hughpinder

posted on 8/3/19 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Have jacked up my 7.5t horsebox on our block paving ok - it is 40mm blocks on a good base of compacted crush and run then 1/2" of 1:10 cement/sand mix to level
loggyboy

posted on 8/3/19 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
get some flat bottomed/large pad axle stands.
macc man

posted on 8/3/19 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
We had block paving laid about 10 years ago and stands up well to trolley jacks etc.
It has to be laid on a strong deep bed of chippings and well compacted with a heavy roller not a vibration plate.

archaree33

posted on 12/3/19 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Block Paving Sub Base

Nothing wrong with block paving as long as the sub base is sound, many paving installers just do not dig down deep enough, usual because of cost, as they have to take away more to be dumped and fill in with type 1 material which is expensive. Also placing sub par materials underneath such as crushed concrete that moves over time.

http://www.nottinghamdriveway.co.uk/block-paving-clean--seal.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.