Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Day rain / dust cover..
AlexXtreme

posted on 15/5/19 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Day rain / dust cover..

In short I am taking my car to the Silverstone classic show and was thinking of getting a shower proof cover over the cockpit (which would also cover any odd non-valuable bits and bobs I want to leave in my car from prying eyes.. but avoids going to the grief of not putting the softtop up or if the forecast is good I can leave the softtop at home and have some space in the boot!

I was thinking of something relatively low cost ;-) (as long as it does not scratch the paintwork) that clips on the wheels.

I could also use it when I think rain might come and I can not be bothered to put the soft top up.

I looked on ebay and some look pretty rubbish.

gremlin1234

posted on 15/5/19 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
anything that loosely touches paintwork is likely to scratch, it will get some sand under it, and it will move

but what you have described is commonly known as a (full) tonneau cover

adithorp

posted on 15/5/19 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I use one similar to this on my Fury...

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/CoverConvertibleCarTopCover.html#aTC

Not cheap but mines 10 years old now and still ok despite a lot of use.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

AlexXtreme

posted on 15/5/19 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
A tonneau cover generally is designed to be used when motoring I thought. I just need something when the car is stationary
gremlin1234

posted on 15/5/19 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
A tonneau cover generally is designed to be used when motoring I thought. I just need something when the car is stationary

often used as a day cover too

David Jenkins

posted on 15/5/19 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I've used for quite a few years - LINKY. It is waterproof, but if it's still wet when you try to get it off the car you're likely to dump all the water inside the cockpit! Probably be OK with 2 people taking it off. There are loops for a bungee cord on each side if you're using the cover in windy conditions (or you want to deter nosy people by making it a little more difficult for then to sneak a look under the cover). Folds up quite small and fits into a small bag.

N.B. I could only find this advert after a very lazy search - there's a number to ring at the bottom anyway, so you don't have to deal through the Westfield owners' website.

AlexXtreme

posted on 15/5/19 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the suggestions though these are a bit more than I wanted to spend... the tonneau would need to be custom made for my car.. a Ginetta G27.
Myke 2463

posted on 16/5/19 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Car cover

Westfield world is not the Westfield Owners club... no need to join. Very happy with my Walker cover also has 2 tabs inline with the driver / passenger seats to allow a bungie to go from each side under the car in windy conditions.

Be Lucky Mike.

snapper

posted on 16/5/19 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Any double layer (the one with the soft underlayer) from eBay for a small car.
I use 3 adjustable load straps to hold it down in windy weather which stops the cover moving about.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/5/19 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
big umbrella
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AlexXtreme

posted on 16/5/19 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
not a bad idea :-)..
I am looking at ebay jobs and even the small 2 layer 1/2 covers would almost cover my complete car!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumex-Waterproof-Breathable-Weather-Frost-Protection-Car-Half-Top-Cover-Small/282607211230?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&am p;_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.