Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UK members - Will you vote tomorrow? 05/05/05
sgraber

posted on 5/5/05 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
UK members - Will you vote tomorrow? 05/05/05

Just curious if everyone will be voting or not? I know nothing about the British system, but I hope that if you are allowed to vote, that you make it count!

Good luck!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Shootist

posted on 5/5/05 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
Does this mean it's our turn?????

To tell them how to vote????

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Say no more...

carcentric

posted on 5/5/05 at 04:39 AM Reply With Quote
I figure it'll turn out okay - if Tony Blair doesn't continue his service, it looks like he'll be replaced by a Conservative.

For us, the comparison might be if something happens to Bush while he's in office, we get Cheney!

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

JoelP

posted on 5/5/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
yup, im off to vote now first time ive been bothered actually

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

zilspeed

posted on 5/5/05 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - I will definitely be voting.

And that's as political as this posting will get

ned

posted on 5/5/05 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
if you don't vote you forfit your right to moan about the management for the next 4 years

i'll be off shortly...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 5/5/05 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I don't think any of the candidates in my area deserve my Vote.

Where is the "none of the Above" box on the forms?

Cheers!
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

chris.russell

posted on 5/5/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
i'll be casting my vote later this evening, dispite still being regestered at my old house and knowing very little about the local candidates.

Mines a pint

Hellfire

posted on 5/5/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I already voted by post. However, I am very disillusioned by all the major parties and was tempted to 'spoil' my paper or simply not vote.

I think the time has come to add a box labelled 'None of the above'

IMO

DorsetStrider

posted on 5/5/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I'll be voting.

For the first time ever I'll be voting for labour (a wasted vote in my neck of the woods) but quite honestly it's either that or not voting at all.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

flak monkey

posted on 5/5/05 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I just got back from my voting (and lecture).

If the conservatives get in i will NOT be happy. I dont see how anyone can vote for a party with virtually no policies (other than to slag off everyone else), and the policies that do exist dont add up (like huge tax cuts which leave billions of pounds defecit). They are promising to cut spending on schools and public services! If they get in all the good that labour have done will be undone, we will go back to the state the country was in in '96. High interest rates, unstable economy and shoddy services. If they get in i dont see my self being able to buy a house for the forseeable future as interest rates will rocket once again, damaging small businesses again in the process.

Does no one remeber what a state the country was in when Mr Howard was home secretary...?! Just imagine him priminister!

My vote was cast for labour, and the above demonstrates just a few of the reasons. Please dont vote for the torys!

Sorry to turn a political thread into what will no doubt turn into an argument...!

David

PS all the Torys hard lines on immigrants are funny really considering Howards grandparents (i think) were illegal immigrants...

[Edited on 5/5/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

britishtrident

posted on 5/5/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I spoiled my paper in the last election for the Scottish Parliment -- just wrote spoiled right across it very satisfying.
woodster

posted on 5/5/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be votin later the votin place is next to the pub which is next to the chinky not a bad night out and doin my duty .......... hopeful Mr BLIAR will get a bloody nose
Benzine

posted on 5/5/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Please dont vote for the torys!

This coming from a Nightwish fan (presumably from avatar)

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

flak monkey

posted on 5/5/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Please dont vote for the torys!

This coming from a Nightwish fan (presumably from avatar)

Your point being? (Nightwish are great)

Sera

Peteff

posted on 5/5/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
It's a secret ballot...

So I'm not telling

[Edited on 5/5/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 5/5/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
have voted by post, and not to assist my nanny-state Bliar back in for another term of nothingness.

I have about had enough of the labour "everybody can work in the service industry, you don't need manufacturing" government.

Steve&Steve

posted on 5/5/05 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to cast my vote now.

I found it usefull to read this...

BBC Election 2005 Guide

... before making my decision.

-Steve-

flak monkey

posted on 5/5/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

I have about had enough of the labour "everybody can work in the service industry, you don't need manufacturing"

Can you explain that one? If you are referring to the demise of Rover the thats nothing to do with the government as its not a state owned company. The government was under no obligation to offer any help to them at all. Like if MK or GTS went bankrupt tomorrow then they would not be entitled to any help from the government either.

Its a sad fact that manufacturing is dying in this country (and believe me i should be worried as i am doing a Manufacturing Engineering degree). The problem is labour is too expensive in this country. We are unfortunately turing into a consumerist society, where people want everything as cheap as possible (hence the stupid amount of crap electronic equipment etc that is on the market, it does a job, but not very well). Until people realise that you get what you pay for (most of the time) then manufacturing will continue to dissappear. [sarcasm] after all why pay £150 for a decent DVD player made in the UK, when you can buy one for £30 that does the same job made in china?[/sarcasm]. If you want to help save manufacturing jobs, then people have to start buying british stuff.

Just think, the french buy predominantly french cars, germans buy mainly german cars, americans buy american etc. What do we do? We buy everyone elses and risk our own businesses (eg rover). If theres anyone to blame for the demise of engineering/skilled jobs in this country its you and me....

One thing we will always hold onto though is the production of innovative products and cutting edge technology.

David

Sera

Steve&Steve

posted on 5/5/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back from the polling station, just out of interest did anyone else have any trouble with the system?

I was issued two parlimentary votes!! My postal vote for 'Richmond' constituency and also a normal ballot card for 'Leeds North' constituency.

I took them both to the polling station and asked which I should be using. Its sorted out now anyway, but this shouldn't happen should it!

I used my 'Leeds North' vote because its a marginal seat so my vote will actually count. 'Richmond' is a safe Tory seat so whatever I put if I voted there wouldn't make a lot of difference I dont think.

Noodle

posted on 5/5/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm considering drawing a cock on mine.

Anyone have any suggestions as to an appropriate motif?

Your sort make me sick

clbarclay

posted on 5/5/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Spoiling the paper is the easy way to vote for 'non of the above'. Just select all two or more parties

Your vote doesn't count towards any party, but your registered as voting.

Benzine

posted on 5/5/05 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Your point being? (Nightwish are great)

Yeah just messing with you Nightwish aren't really my kind of metal but I do like some of their stuff. 'Bless the child', for example

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

James

posted on 5/5/05 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve&Steve
Just got back from the polling station, just out of interest did anyone else have any trouble with the system?

I was issued two parlimentary votes!! My postal vote for 'Richmond' constituency and also a normal ballot card for 'Leeds North' constituency.

I took them both to the polling station and asked which I should be using. Its sorted out now anyway, but this shouldn't happen should it!

I used my 'Leeds North' vote because its a marginal seat so my vote will actually count. 'Richmond' is a safe Tory seat so whatever I put if I voted there wouldn't make a lot of difference I dont think.

So something simple we've been doing for a few hundred years can't be done right (organising an election) whilst people think that the government will successfully spend a few billion quid on a highly complex ID card system!!!

Yes, I will be voting.

And fortunately, I know that where I live my vote *will* make a difference!
(I'm in a Liberal/Tory marginal- Liberals one by just 534 votes last time!).

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 5/5/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Shootist
To tell them how to vote????

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, Say no more...

Feel free!

Our monkey is probably controlled by the same people that your illiterate monkey is controlled by!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.