Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra light switch.
JohanP

posted on 9/7/07 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra light switch.

Hi,

Im using a 1985 2.0 Sierra as a donor and now I'm about to wire the headlights up.
When I study both Haynes and the Sierra user manual they tell me that the first Sierras didn't use relays for the headlights. Am I correct?
It seems that they sent the current directly through the stalk switch. And judging by the thickness of the wires connected to the stalk switch they can handle the current.
I then compared with a later Sierra and it had much thinner wires. This because they use relays.

Is there any reason for me to change the way Ford has wired the headlights (i.e. in my case without relays)?

I'm using 55/60W H4 lightbulbs.

//Johan

[Edited on 9/7/07 by JohanP]

I have fun Seven days a week!
Finished: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52344

BenB

posted on 9/7/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the first Sierras didn't use relays. So you could just use the earlier switches and hope for the best. After all, Sierra switches are hardly difficult to come by if you need a replacement.

I worked on the principle that they must have changed to relays for a reason (like if the original stalks were wearing out prematurely due to arcing) so fitted relays anyway.....

caber

posted on 9/7/07 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
That possibly explains why the later switch controls the ground side of the relays, if it was connected into an earlier loom it would not then take the current of the headlights. It is a real PITA to work out what does what as none of the diagrams I have exactly match the switches or loom on my column! I thought I had it all sussed until I applied power to the wiring last night No fires but a lot of things not working as expected. Any idea why hazzard flashers work properly but left hand indicator works and right doesn't, its all in the same switch unit!

Caber

rusty

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
These type of switches can suffer from corossion. Spray some WD40 of similar into the switch and work it back and forth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.