Board logo

luego velocity front uprights/top ball joint question
nadwgbr - 30/5/15 at 05:43 PM

hi all.......quick question from a new/slow builder (luego velocity)

I am just trial fitting my suspension/running gear and am concerned about the lack of thread protruding from the top ball joint through the mounting hole in the top of the upright...not enough to get any turns out the bottom of the locknut. Can someone tell me whether any modification is required to the hole in the top of the upright for the ball joint to sit any deeper(?)..and/or how many turns of thread I need to get through the locknut for IVA purposes?
Also, if someone could identify what these uprights are actually from (sierra?) and size of bolt (length and thread) needed to mount the front brake calipers into the two threaded mounting holes at the rear of the upright it would be most appreciated..... the kit I'm building came as a chassis and lots of various boxes of bits rescued from someones garage where they had all sat for 10 years...and I'm not 100% sure of the source and history of some of the bits.

Have tried to attach a photo below.

front upright
front upright

ian locostzx9rc2 - 30/5/15 at 06:05 PM

They look like cortina uprights to me and if your going to use them you we have to modify them so you have about 3 threads showing.

big_wasa - 30/5/15 at 06:07 PM

They are cortina mk3/4/5 uprights. Top ball joint is a transit drag link. Options are get a half nut, ream the upright or the way I did it was to replace the drag links as there not all the same.

nadwgbr - 30/5/15 at 06:18 PM

Cheers for that guys.....half nut option was my initial thought, but they can just be reamed out a little can they to open them up if necessary? and don't suppose anyone knows the thread size for the caliper mounting bolts do they before I go trawling the internet?
cheers

nadwgbr - 30/5/15 at 06:44 PM

looks like ebay has a load of mk2 Cortina caliper mounting bolts available....imperial thread 7/16 by the looks of it..will give retro ford a ring in the week just to make sure I get the right ones.....cheers fellas

big_wasa - 30/5/15 at 07:06 PM

But yours are mk3/4/5 so will be metric not mk1/2

[Edited on 30/5/15 by big_wasa]

nadwgbr - 30/5/15 at 07:28 PM

cheers wasa for that....one of the reasons I prefer first hand info rather than relying on mr.google too much....found some listed on ebay as caliper bolts for mk1/2/3....12mm shank 7/16th thread...but now that I know what uprights I have I shall phone retro ford and get them to supply the right bolts. cheers

rusty nuts - 30/5/15 at 09:11 PM

IIRC some Transit drag link joints have less thread than others , its been covered before on the forum . Before resorting to reaming which may ruin the uprights try another make of drag link joint

nadwgbr - 30/5/15 at 10:38 PM

cheers rusty....will look into that too

rusty nuts - 31/5/15 at 07:08 AM

Quintet Hazel part number QD1117RHT might be suitable , Try Bennetts in Church End , Cherry Hinton or MPD in Coldhams Rd if trying to locate locally