Board logo

Using Second Hand Chassis
WesBrooks - 19/3/17 at 11:33 AM

Hi,

Looks like using a second hand chassis may be an option for me. What do I need to look for other than the usual not bent or heavily corroded? I was thinking a chassis with V5 may uave been the way to go, but I guess I may have an issue that when I progress to IVA (q plate) I would need to declare the rest of the car scrapped and get a certificate of destruction? This could be tricky if I've only bought a chassis! Likewise if I buy without V5 how do I check the history of the VIN to make sure the car wasn't stolen? Can a chassis be reused once the vehicle has been declared scrapped?

Thanks!

loggyboy - 19/3/17 at 11:57 AM

if you planning on IVAing and reregisteringn then the vin can be removed and a new one put on. 'find' a receipt for some steel tube and avoid a Q.

CosKev3 - 19/3/17 at 03:27 PM

Why do you think it will need a IVA if you buy a chassis with a V5?

WesBrooks - 19/3/17 at 04:35 PM

I'm not looking to avoid the IVA or Q plate. What I'm planning needs both.

What parts can be reuesd from a vehicle that has been declared scrapped?

The V5 only applies if you are reusing enough of the donors parts to score the required points to reuse the original registration number. When you don't how is the old car declared scrapped and the certificate of destruction issued after tue new registration is confirmed?

CosKev3 - 19/3/17 at 05:32 PM

Oh your not talking about a seven type car/chassis?

WesBrooks - 19/3/17 at 05:32 PM

From a different angle when can you ligitimately apply for a new VIN number for an existing chassis after it has been modified? I'm talking about welding a roll cage to the chassis, changing the shape of the rails behind the rear spring seats and reducing overhang.

WesBrooks - 19/3/17 at 05:37 PM

No sorry, wasn't clear there. Land rover based project which I've tweaked to include chassis mods to help off road ability following a chat with tomcat motorsport. I did have a donor but alas I bought a crap one. Options are a new chassis built to drawings which I'm guessing will be about £2k or buy a second hand chassis for £500ish and modify that.