Board logo

Steering Column Cowling
davemelsome - 17/8/18 at 06:04 PM

Evening All

Looking for ideas or suggestions on what people have done about the steering column cowling on a replica 7 kit (I have the original Dax Rush)? The original Sierra stuff is like hens teeth now and just wondering if there are better solutions?

Cheers

Dave

tims31 - 17/8/18 at 06:43 PM

I formed one out of Ali sheet which was less bulky and then used that as a mould for making a fibreglass surround. I then covered it with some vinyl cloth the same as the dash top. Works okay.

steve m - 18/8/18 at 08:08 AM

My first one was a baked been can, covered in vinyl

steve

joneh - 18/8/18 at 10:30 AM

I tried to use a baby formula tin, then soil pipe but ended up sourcing a sierra one off a chap from here.

You might have better luck than me with your craft skills..

rusty nuts - 18/8/18 at 11:05 AM

Wonder if a 3D printer could produce a decent one?

Bigboystoys - 21/8/18 at 02:12 PM

Do you have the original sierra one fitted??? I have covered mine in leather from an old sofa on my rush and have to say it looks amazing.

davemelsome - 1/9/18 at 10:35 PM

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in replying!

I have the top of the old Sierra cowling but nothing underneath.

Cheers

Dave

jester - 4/9/18 at 10:51 PM

Found this on eBay any good

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-sierra-mk2-steering-column-covers/302867955280?hash=item4684563e50:g:tHQAAOSwkShbZGTy

nick205 - 5/9/18 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tims31
I formed one out of Ali sheet which was less bulky and then used that as a mould for making a fibreglass surround. I then covered it with some vinyl cloth the same as the dash top. Works okay.

On my Sierra based MK Indy I used the 2 piece Sierra plastic cowling then made an extra section from alloy sheet covered in black vinyl (as per my dashboard) to fill in a gap at the top - worked fine, cost peanuts and looked OEM IMHO.

MikeR - 5/9/18 at 10:12 AM

Randomly looked at a large vanish tub yesterday. Went to measure it and it's almost a perfect fit. Ok, it's bright pink but I'm sure it could be covered.

Irony - 5/9/18 at 11:06 AM

Made my from leather see my pre IVA pics for details

davemelsome - 5/9/18 at 08:55 PM

Cool thanks all, I will see what I can come up with.

Regards

Dave

nick205 - 6/9/18 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Randomly looked at a large vanish tub yesterday. Went to measure it and it's almost a perfect fit. Ok, it's bright pink but I'm sure it could be covered.

Soak the label off and paint it your chosen colour. Being plastic I guess you'd have to use a suitable primer and top coat for plastic - pretty sure Halfords sell these though.