Board logo

Wanted - Ford 2.0 Ecoboost engine
T66 - 12/6/19 at 07:01 AM

Morning

After the complete lump with loom, gearbox and ancillaries.

Thanks

slingshot2000 - 12/6/19 at 08:00 AM

Hi,
Cannot help with your search for an engine, but I
Have often wondered how.you were getting on with
your little Fiat ?
I may have to a packet of Hobnobs and pop up for a chat.
Regards
Jon

MikeR - 12/6/19 at 10:56 AM

Another wondering about the little fiat - any chance of an update on here?

T66 - 12/6/19 at 11:34 AM

Morning

The Fiat has bothered me since I got it, huge task for me as my skills as a mechanic and fabricator are reasonable but nothing spectacular, so I have spent a lot of time cheesing myself off creating things and then chucking them, normal I suppose with a scratchbuilt car, everything I seemed to touch I needed to know what its diameter was, thread pitch, and then where to get it from.

So the chargecooler system went in, the dry sump tank & oil lines, I had the throttle bodies machined to take new injectors, modified the slave cylinder to fit behind the Quaife axle, seats in and out, shortened the steering rack and fitted it. Harness bosses and some tubes welded in place.

And then with the £2k I had left in my garage pot, I took a punt of some shares and did well and made my 2k into £8k and then got greedy and piled it all into a company that went tits. Im lead to beleive the share price will recover but my money is locked in there until it does.

So fast forward 2.5 years, the car has bothered me recently as the bike engine I have is quite special, and the concerns I had were around it getting through an IVA, and I didnt think it would. If you recall I got Scootz bonkers Blackbird engine. Ive also never liked the rear trailing arm suspension, so that is getting replaced for lighter wishbone arrangement.

So while my shares havent recovered in value, I am taking the plunge and getting some chassis work done on it and moving on the bike engine and parts, to swap it for a 2.0 Ecoboost. Life is too short and this bloody thing needs finished.

With regard to BEC builds, I have a canny selection of parts including the bonkers Blackbird engine and Rotrex, if anyone is after anything drop me a line. DTA S60/The Engine/Chargecooler core,radiator & Bosch pump. Trickshifter, Pingel solenoid (same as Flatshifters) etc

Dropping the engine out this afternoon, the shell is completely stripped out getting it ready for the next step.

Media blast & powder coat chassis
Blast & prime shell.
Ecoboost engine & box
SCS Delta ecu

Keep in touch

Locost ? No not really but Im past caring now.

CosKev3 - 12/6/19 at 01:37 PM

Why the EcoBoost?

They are pretty expensive and not very reliable,Ford have loads of issues with them,and if you start tuning them there seems to be even more failures/issues

40inches - 12/6/19 at 02:33 PM

What about a FWD AJ30 mounted in the back?

T66 - 12/6/19 at 05:47 PM

I want the Ecoboost because there are a decent amount of them crashed with low miles, Im aware of the problems they have had with head gaskets but isnt that down to the young lads ramping them up too much ? My son has had two a Fiesta ST & Focus ST and ragged the arse off both of them, stop start commuting and all over the country with work, never had any bother with either.

Prices seem to range from £1100 for a 1.6T to £4500 for a low miles 2.0 R9DC. The breakers dont know what to charge for them, Ive seen the 2.3 engine complete with box for £2500, but it needs the 2.0 gearbox.

The desire is to create something that can be driven hard, look a bit whacky and have a less frantic engine with a fuel tank bigger than 20L.

The Ford engine & box gives me 6 gears, and hopefully a car that is more driveable than a bec.

CosKev3 - 12/6/19 at 06:48 PM

Loads are melting pistons running standard boost levels.

T66 - 12/6/19 at 07:32 PM

Is that the 2.0 the 2.3 or both ? Any reading links would be appreciated

big_wasa - 12/6/19 at 07:49 PM

There was a metro at Stonleigh with a Duratec30 in the back. Very cool.

The two guys above are already nudging 300bhp with compromised breathing due to packaging.

But the fiesta st180 looks to be the most reliable of the new gen ford engines.

T66 - 12/6/19 at 07:58 PM

The 1.6 has had bother as well, but there isnt much out there that hasnt imho. The sons Fiesta ST he hammered the most and all he did was service it and put tyres and petrol in/on it.

Any pictures of the Metro ?

big_wasa - 12/6/19 at 08:15 PM

The owner is on here. “ Oddified “

CosKev3 - 13/6/19 at 05:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66

2ltr fitted to the Focus ST's I've read about,mainly in Facebook in the Focus ST owners group

T66 - 13/6/19 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by T66

2ltr fitted to the Focus ST's I've read about,mainly in Facebook in the Focus ST owners group

It appears and I may be wrong, the head gasket probs were with the earlier open deck block on the R9Da. The article I read and cannot now find, told a tale of blown gaskets between the pots, and blamed excessive exhaust reversion driving gas back into the pots and then detonating with fresh stuff. In tuned engines.

I still cannot find one anyway, I’m looking at the 1.6, and would consider a clean Zetec 2.0 but what I find are oily black things.

A minefield buying salvage yard engines.....any recommends ?

big_wasa - 13/6/19 at 02:58 PM

Zetec’s are getting slim pickings. I think the 2.0 crate engines have about dried up. With stockcar and banger racers now using them this will escalate over the next few years. You are more likely to find an St170 engine than a 2.0 Zetec on eBay.
Stick some pistons and rods in one and it will compete with the St180 no problem and you would probably have less cash in it.

Jags are cheap at the moment, around half the price of the ford equivalent. And with nearly 300bhp N/a it’s a lot of bang for your buck. I can’t think of many £300 / 300bhp engines. If I hadn’t been so far into the turbo Zetec. I would have gone v6.

What floats your boat ?

T66 - 13/6/19 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Zetec’s are getting slim pickings. I think the 2.0 crate engines have about dried up. With stockcar and banger racers now using them this will escalate over the next few years. You are more likely to find an St170 engine than a 2.0 Zetec on eBay.
Stick some pistons and rods in one and it will compete with the St180 no problem and you would probably have less cash in it.

Jags are cheap at the moment, around half the price of the ford equivalent. And with nearly 300bhp N/a it’s a lot of bang for your buck. I can’t think of many £300 / 300bhp engines. If I hadn’t been so far into the turbo Zetec. I would have gone v6.

What floats your boat ?

There are more Fiesta ST 1.6 engines about than 2.0, with a bigger intercooler they are making 280-300bhp which is still off my ability scale to drive well. Zetecs like hens teeth....

My choice is for the 4 pot turbo engines, 1.6 or 2.0 with the 6 speed box. I would like the car to have 300bhp for no other reason than its appeal to others when it maybe gets sold, 160-200bhp is still more than enough for something the size of a pallet with a tin roof.

big_wasa - 13/6/19 at 05:34 PM

I am with you.

What petrol head doesn’t want 3~4~500bhp in a 5~600kg car. I do. I wont be able to drive it and I’ve probably wrecked it but what the hell I’ve started so I will finish.

Having seen the other two get a v6 in a 7 I still keep shaking my head in wonderment.

Have you thought about a category car and breaking it.

T66 - 13/6/19 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I am with you.

What petrol head doesn’t want 3~4~500bhp in a 5~600kg car. I do. I wont be able to drive it and I’ve probably wrecked it but what the hell I’ve started so I will finish.

Having seen the other two get a v6 in a 7 I still keep shaking my head in wonderment.

Have you thought about a category car and breaking it.

I have a few emails out for (ST180) 1.6 Ecoboosts, considerably cheaper than the 2.0, but making sure they have the gearbox and all ancillaries included is important. Breakers have different ideas what a complete engine & box are.

Pumaspeed add a bigger intercooler and hard pipes to the 1.6 and make 250bhp reliably, so I can cope with coming under 300 .....(still 150bhp ahead of my personal drag curve) Also makes a big difference to cost compared to the 2.0

I want the car to be docile to bimble about in, reasonable fuel tank and with a nice sound. It will get driven like my old Saab , mostly pootling about with the odd blat about/track day.

Registered on Copart there are some bargains to be had, I might need to call in a mate with a garage and space to break a Focus/Fiesta, Im leaving that option until I cannot find what Im looking for.

big_wasa - 13/6/19 at 06:21 PM

I’ve been watching some content on YouTube that’s really interesting.

A guy has bought a couple of St180’s from copart. One to replace his unreliable trackday St170.

I managed to blag the keys to one of these little St180’s for half an hour. I was really impressed. I think the engine would be great in a kit.

T66 - 13/6/19 at 06:26 PM

Like that alloy , doesnt look like a pursuit without tyres....

sdh2903 - 13/6/19 at 07:58 PM

I had a 2.0 EcoBoost in a Westfield and it was a very quick car. Good for pootling, quick when you want it to be and very good on fuel surprisingly. Choosing again I'd go for a 1.6. Smaller lighter and good power too. And as you say they are more common with the yoofs crashing them so plenty of used engines out there.

T66 - 13/6/19 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I had a 2.0 EcoBoost in a Westfield and it was a very quick car. Good for pootling, quick when you want it to be and very good on fuel surprisingly. Choosing again I'd go for a 1.6. Smaller lighter and good power too. And as you say they are more common with the yoofs crashing them so plenty of used engines out there.

Thanks for that feedback appreciated, the 1.6 Ecoboost is starting to looking like the choice. My car is tiny, very short wheelbase, a lighter engine is better.