Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suggestions for a twin turbo setup on a gsxr 1100?
cloudy

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Suggestions for a twin turbo setup on a gsxr 1100?

Due to space/money constraints, supercharging and single turbo is out...

I have a bench engine I'd like to start work on (yes the DVLA are taking THAT long to process my paperwork - 6 weeks and counting...)

As my exhausts fan off each side with minimal clearance - two small turbos would seem to make sense, feeding a common plenum to smooth out any pressure differences. Aiming for 250-300 horsepower, but starting with low boost to perhaps 200 to get started...

any suggestions on a turbo to use?

James

[Edited on 8/4/09 by cloudy]

www.warnercars.com

cloudy

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it might do the job, not sure if they are marginally too small? produce 100hp on the car I believe, even with two I might be hitting their flow limits..

James

www.warnercars.com

mark chandler

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
pair of turbo's off a early escrt turbo, they are good to ~200bhp with the bonus of being air cooled so no faffing about with waterways, just oil and drain back.

Have you room to get the turbo's high enough to drain back?

cloudy

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
They would be about carb level, so I presume that's enough? I'm trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible, it's all new to me!

James

www.warnercars.com

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/4/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
well worth the investment, great book!
linky

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
A re-think of the exhaust to use a single turbo would be a good move IMO, what will twin tiny turbo's buy you apart from lots of extra weight and complexity?

The turbos I've seen on the Smart ForTwo have the exhaust housing as part of the manifold, so they wouldn't be much good. The Brabus one may be different.

locoR1

posted on 9/4/09 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
assuming you haven't got room for a turbo between the engine and bulkhead couldn't you have one turbo up over the gearbox / chain drive bringing the primary's round either side of the engine as you are now 4-2-1-turbo

would be allot simpler that two turbo's and also give you a decent hight for oil return.

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Aico

posted on 9/4/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Get something like 2 Garrett GT20's. They are pretty small, but flow enough. Maybe you can even go smaller. I believe they also have GT15 and GT12. Check their website with flowcharts.
cloudy

posted on 9/4/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
assuming you haven't got room for a turbo between the engine and bulkhead couldn't you have one turbo up over the gearbox / chain drive bringing the primary's round either side of the engine as you are now 4-2-1-turbo

would be allot simpler that two turbo's and also give you a decent hight for oil return.

Dave, This solution sounds good - my only worry was the lag induced by exhausts of that length? What's your feeling on that?

MikeRJ, my seats are 5cm fore of the exhausts, and the fuel tanks 20cm below. Even if I could fit a turbo in the space heat would become a large issue to both these components...

James

www.warnercars.com

locoR1

posted on 9/4/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Your right but that depends on the amount of boost you want to run knowing you lots Welderman had long primary's on his blade setup and never complained about lag although yours would be allot longer worth a try though!

You could always fit a mappable boost controller like i have makes a huge difference in spreading the power out and getting the power down! but your talking £2-300 for one worth having.

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

cloudy

posted on 9/4/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps an anti lag rally slag system would solve it?

www.warnercars.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.