Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ARDS test at Combe - The Result :) or :( ?
TimC

posted on 29/7/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
ARDS test at Combe - The Result :) or :( ?

I'm at Castle Combe in the morning for my ARDS test. I seem to have got the flags down to a fine art. Someone mentioned safety car rules - any idea what I need to know? I've never had a car quiet enough to get on at Castle Combe so have been busy watching YouTube footage. Should be interesting!

At leas the car isn't some fire breathing monster:

[Edited on 30/7/09 by TimC]

Flamez

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah pray it stops raining..

my build mac1motorsports

TMC Motorsport

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure on the safety car rules bit, I dont remember it being in my test but it may have changed.

Just keep one word in mind when you're on the circuit at all times:

Smooooooooooth.

They dont care if you are passed by a couple of other cars, they care even less if you break the lap record.
All the instructors want to know is, if they ever come up side by side with you in a race, are they going to be safe?

When I did my instructors course at Goodwood it was repeatedly mentioned that if ever we dont feel safe sitting next to a customer, that person should not be on a race circuit.

Also, you get limited time with the instructors, but don't be afraid to pick their brains a little. They wont be able to offer you much in the way of tuition, but everything they do say is relevant, so take it all on board.

And dont worry if the written test seems to have some ambiguous questions with two potential answers, if you think there are two possibilities, select them and put a note somewhere explaining why. That isnt to say you can select all the multiple choice answers and hedge your bets though!

Good luck!

mlees91
Junior Builder

Posts 44
Registered 17/3/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: i am not but i race in the 750mc locost seris

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
i did not get asked anything about a safety car when i took mine there were the flags and then some questions on motorsport such as: how is responsible for the checking of the on board fire exguster.
a. you
b. msa
c. club
d. stewards

max lees 91#

Fozzie

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well..it was a few years ago since I did mine, but we were not allowed any errors in the theory test.

If you have studied your gumpf in the MSA Go Racing pack, you should be fine....

Listen to your briefings, make notes (in head) about the 'line'......There will be cones/markers out at the crucial points to help you remember..

Don't worry about the track, you wont be asked to put in 'race laps'.....

Your ARDS tester will give you some guidance, before your actual 'test'.....listen intently to his 'advice'.....

I did mine in the afternoon, with ice (in parts) and puddles on the circuit (it was early February quite a few years ago of course)......only having a few hours after landing from OZ.......(got my dates wrong).....

With Sky Sports at the track..
filming the Historic Jags doing their pre-season 'shake down' in the morning....and I was chucking a Lister XJ6 around the track (owner in passenger seat), and I was the only female.....

So no pressure there then......much...

Most of all...enjoy your day...

Just make sure you listen..and you will be fine!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

TimC

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
So, do the multiple choice questions potentially have more than one correct answer?

Also, is one section multiple choice and one written?

Thanks

TC

I've recently finished my MBA exams and I'm much more nervous about this which is bizarre really.

[Edited on 29/7/09 by TimC]

TMC Motorsport

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
So, do the multiple choice questions potentially have more than one answer?

Thanks

TC

Not to the extent it should worry you.

When I did my test there was one question that said something to the effect of: "When should you use the grass in a race?"

A, Never
B, To pass an opponent who is in your way
C, As a short cut to get a better lap time
D, To avoid an accident or blocked track.

Clearly D is the most sensible option, but A also could be considered accurate. So I simply selected both and put a note next to A saying "in an ideal situation" and another note next to D saying "if this is the only available option"
Or words to that effect.

Fozzie

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Tim, as TMC did.....and try and not be nervous

I remember one question about 'if you had a fire on board'
would you......
with a multiple choice....

It really is about logics and good sense....

Relax..enjoy...you will be fine..
Fozzie

procomp

posted on 29/7/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Best of luck mate.

Cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richd

posted on 29/7/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Did my ards at combe. Great fun. You wont have a problem with the theory and the guys are fantastic out on track. They drove two of us round to show us the lines and explain what they expected of us (as matt said, smooth and at a reasonable pace) they then put you in the drivers seat and talk you round a couple of laps and when they (and you) are happy they shut up and assess your next three laps. I kept getting told that I didn't need to go so fast. So overall speed is not what is required.

Good luck and enjoy it (this is the beginning of something big.

Cheers
Rich

allied.motorsport@hotmail.co.uk

www.alliedmotorsport.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steveiow

posted on 29/7/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I did mine about 6 weeks ago at Thruxton. It was straight forward enough.

2 sections of questions. The first 14 were about flags. No wrong answers at all allowed and they arent multiple choice.

They were questions like "Which flag is shown at the start of a race" etc so only have one correct answer.

The second section of questions were multiple choice and you can get a couple wrong if i recall. Soem you have to think about and some are no brainers like:

Q. You drop your helmet and notice a crack. Do you:
1. Stick tape over it
2. Ignore it as helmets are meant to take abuse
3. Sell it to another competitor
4. Dispose of it and purchase another approved helmet

Then you have the practical test - mine was in a Porsche Cayman. We did 3 laps with the instructor driving showing the lines and giving notes. Then we swapped over for about 5 laps, of which the first 2 he gave some guidance and then he shut up and assessed me.

It was made clear that emphasis is given to showing that you can be consistent and in control and be aware of other track users - not on outright speed. They stress that you should build up speed over 3 or 4 laps and not go balls out as a spin or excursion off track is an instant fail.

I was very nervous beforehand but we got to watch the video again before the written test so it was pretty easy. Afterwards, I wondered what all the fuss had been about.

I am most nervous now about racing against you guys. Going to come up to Silverstone and hopefully chat to you and then may enter for Snetterton or possibly wait until first round 2010.

I think it might be best to get my first race under my belt though.

Anyway, good luck with the test - I did Combe last monday after a weekend meet there and there was poo all over the track - very slippery first thing.

Take it steady and you will be fine. As other said you need to give the instructors confidence in your ability to be safe in a racing situation.

[Edited on 29/7/09 by steveiow]

TimC

posted on 30/7/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
The Verdict:

It's a pass.

As we sat watching the first part of the video before we ventured out on track, it started raining cats and dogs. Not ideal.

Anyway, we did about 6 laps as passengers (only two of us on the course!) and it was VERY wet; standing water everywhere. Then it was our turn. As Brown comes before Cheney in the alphabet the other chap went first and returned some 20 minutes later with a smile on his face. Good. As I got in the car, the Instructor (Roly) warned that Mr Brown has said that the track had got progressively more greasy as it dried a little. He wasn't kidding - it was like driving on ice. Anyway, as instructed I took it pretty steady. A couple of things were apparent. I hadn't experienced wearing a helmet in a saloon before. It's like sensory deprivation - this was no stripped out racer and it was hard to hear the engine. tyres etc. What also didn't help was the brakes which felt hugely over-servo'd and offered no feel at all. Its been a few years since I drove a Mark 1 Focus but I remember that feeling great. Anyway, the final issue was judging the speed right. I actually found it easier to flow the faster I went but the instructor wasn't really looking for this. Even so, my assessed laps were my quickest by some margin.

Having done a few hours revision, the written element was a doddle and I scored 100%.

I then wandered across to Merlin and bought myself a Novice cross for the back of the car. The completed form will be in the post within the hour and then I'm off to work on the car.

See you in Silverstone!

Woop!

mlees91
Junior Builder

Posts 44
Registered 17/3/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: i am not but i race in the 750mc locost seris

posted on 30/7/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
well done now u get to see what racing is like
procomp

posted on 30/7/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

LOL i just sent you a U2U and forgot to ask how you did.

A big well done. Roll on Silverstone.

Cheers Matt

Fozzie

posted on 30/7/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
oooOOOooo Well done Tim

That is good news!
I was thinking about your 'test' this morning

Fozzie

progers

posted on 30/7/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well done - will be good to see you out on track at last (even though its with the wrong formula )

- Paul

MK9R

posted on 5/8/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Well done mate, see you at silverstone?? Did you say you were testing on the friday??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.