Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House electrics question...
SierraL_killer

posted on 26/10/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
House electrics question...

Hi,
Firstly apologies for the unrelated post but I know this place is full of knowledgable guys (and it saves me signing up to a different site just to ask one question!)...

Anyway, my flat has a lighting circuit protected by an RCD rated at 6A. I have just bought a new light fitting with four 50W halogen spots. The fitting instructions say:
A) "requires protection from a 5A fuse" - is the 6A RCD ok?
B) "fit new earth cable if there is not one present" - there isn't at the moment. Is this an issue?

The old fitting had 3 spotlights each rated at 60W to 100W if this helps.

Any comments are much obliged.

Cheers

SierraL_killer

posted on 26/10/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Actually just found the earth (its just that the old fittting didnt use it so it had been tucked above ceiling rose)

Question A) still a concern though.

cliftyhanger

posted on 27/10/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
No problem, rcds don't come in 5A variety, 6 is std for lighting circuits.
The lights will draw 200w which is just under 1A, so the instructions are not really helpful at all. No surprise there.

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/10/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the cabling is able to carry the required current then it should be fine.
(It should be at least the correct rating for the fuse box breaker especially if installed by a sparkie firm)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

SierraL_killer

posted on 27/10/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much guys,

the new and existing wiring is fine.

Cheers,

Liam

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you mean MCB rather than RCD? Anyway, most important is the earthing. If the new light fitting says it requires earthing then it is class 1 and very much must be earthed unless you want to risk you, or anybody else, recieving a potentially fatal shock without warning when you change a bulb. The thing is, that previously unused earth may not be connected to anything at the other end either. Depending on the age of the installation/laziness of the electrician, a lack of earth in some or all of a lighting circuit is not uncommon. You really need to verify earth continuity from your fitting all the way back to the consumer unit/main earth terminal. Easily done with a multimeter and essential.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.