Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tired M16 Calipers - Options
dhutch

posted on 12/4/10 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Tired M16 Calipers - Options

My front right caliper is dragging again, causing it to get warm, and then under braking the car pulls right the right.

I worked it in an out a bit last time and it went away for a few months but ultimately i think it probably wants some proper attention along with the rear handbrake adjusters.

I have no money, but you cant fanny about with dicky brakes.

So i guess the option are.
- Hope it will go away by magic or find its something else. (£0)
- Pop the pistons out, clean them up, and hope they go back better. (£0)
- Get a seal kit and or new pistons and have a job doing that hoping it cures it. (£60)
- Find someone moving to four pots and by the cast offs hoping there ok. (£60)
- Get a set of new or recon girling units for £50 each (£100)
- Get a set of wilwood fourpot m16 replacments from rallydesigns at £100 each (£200)

Cat just used for about 3k miles a year on road, driven fairly hard, plus around two trackdays a year.

Currently running vented disks. For better or worse. Which are in ok condition afaik.

Daniel

woolly

posted on 12/4/10 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
check for a blocking hose as well.
as long as the pistons are not pitted or scored a clean up could do the trick.

woolly

britishtrident

posted on 12/4/10 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
The seals have gone hard --- new seals required.
When fitting the new seals clean everything, wash with alcohol and lubricate with red rubber grease

***** Don't put WD40 or similar on anything that might contact the rubbers or fluid.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

dhutch

posted on 12/4/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The seals have gone hard --- new seals required.
When fitting the new seals clean everything, wash with alcohol and lubricate with red rubber grease.
Thats something that happens to them is it?
- I guess i can take the pistons out and have a look at them, if there ok get a seal kit, and ive there utterly shot look at other options in the form of a new or second hand replacement.

Would a seal kit come with some assembly grease and basic instructions of key points to note?

I had to replace both the rear wheel cylinders about a year ago as there where totally internally mashed. Sticking lots, so i popped a piston out, just full of rust. Big flakes not just brown fluid. There only £12 each however!

quote:
Originally posted by woolly
check for a blocking hose as well

How would you do that? They bleed through fine with an pressurised header tank (ezybleed)

Cheers, Daniel

pewe

posted on 12/4/10 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
If the bores are slightly pitted/rusted Draper do a set of honing stones which you can use on the electric drill to clean up the bores. About a tenner & brought mine up a treat. Google Draper brake cylinder honing for offers. Just make sure you clean all the grit out by using brake cleaner, meths and/or the airline once you've finished.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

andylancaster3000

posted on 12/4/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Still don't like your avatar... wrong order...
Mix

posted on 12/4/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Brakes International replacement callipers £38:00 each - no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Regards Mick

Seven_Monkey

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Bigg Red if it makes it easier - recon calipers, new seals, etc - basic option for both when I had it done was £69. Although I think they've gone up a little.

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MixBrakes International replacement callipers £38:00 each - no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Assuming there up to scratch you cant moan at that can you.
- Im skint till my student loan come in and poor after that, but at the same time more than happy to stump up the cash to replace them if thats what they need because at the moment there basically just dangerous.

Biggred want £16.90 (they do not sell grease) and vented calipers in standard finish are £79 exchange, inc vat, ex postage. (presumably for a pair)

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 13/4/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ive also been offered a pair of ATe M16 front calipers for £40.
- Apparently they have done 6k on the car and need a seal kit and re assembly. Not sure why there where striped or are now for sale.
- Are ATe suitable respected (although thinking about buying new replacments) or any other maufactures any better than any others.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 27/4/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just been doing some rummaging around.

Local parts place have a pair in stock, £34 each plus vat exchange. So call that £80 for a pair.

Big red want that same (£79 for a pair) budget finish.
- But will fit stainless calipers for an additional £20
- Also for £15 i can have them electroplated, or £40 polymer coated in red/blue/green/black (not yellow )

I think stainless pistons is a good idea for an intermittent use car and worth the £20

Not sure about the finish options, apparently the budget finish really is just a holding paint so it worth going for atleast the electroplate he says for a durabilty point of view. But i cant say im not temped by polymercoat!!

£80 + £20 for ss pistons + £40 finish = £140 (£115 if electroplated only)

Which starts getting quite close to £200 which gets you a pair of willwoods (plus £25 for pads) but i think thats overkill.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.