Quaife torsen LSD with brand new genuine Ford ring and pinion gear
Minilite wheels with good Toyo R888 tyres
5-speed gearbox with Quickshift
4-point harnesses

6 months tax
5 months MOT

Car is in Letchworth, Hertfordshire.

£5500

Full sales pitch follows, this is aimed at a buyer who may not know much about these cars but I'm sure you guys know most of this stuff already

Since having a new addition to the family, I no longer have the time to enjoy this car so I am regretfully offering it for sale. It has a great spec for fast road or trackday use, has been completely reliable, and has given me a huge amount of fun for very minimal running costs. It's brilliant, minimalist fun on the road, and I have done six trackdays in it with no problems at all.

I bought the car two years ago from a chap who had owned it for eight years. In that time he had carried out a very thorough overhaul of the car, most notably fitting the current Ford Zetec (Blacktop) engine in 2007 and a very worthwhile Wilwood brake upgrade.

The engine has had oil, filter and sparkplug changes every year and runs perfectly. No smoke, leaks or rattles. It has twin Weber 40 carbs and Alpha electronic ignition fitted, and was dyno tuned with a printout showing 175bhp.

The Wilwood brakes are Powerlite calipers with vented discs. When these were fitted, the previous owner also installed a proper bias-adjustable pedal box with twin master cylinders, and an adjuster on the dashboard. I recently changed the brake fluid, using high-temperature racing fluid. The brakes now give excellent feel and stopping power, never fade, and pad/disc wear is tiny even under very hard use on track.

The car currently sits on super-sticky Toyo R888 tyres. These are not too expensive to buy, as they are a common 13" size, and because of the low weight of the car tyre wear has been surprisingly low. On the road, wear is hardly noticeable, and even after numerous laps of the Bedford GT circuit there is still loads of tread left. Cornering grip, once the tyres are warmed up, is remarkable! I have a spare set of Falken ZE502 tyres which were on the car when I bought it, these are pretty hard compound and offer much lower grip - ideal if you want to practise your car control or have some fun at much lower cornering speeds. I always intended to put the hard tyres back on and have a go at a drift day, but never got round to it.

The only problem I have ever had with the car was the rear axle - after my first track day on the R888 tyres, it started whining very loudly. This took two attempts to fix properly. The first company I sent it to assured me I only needed new bearings, and returned it to me making just a much noise as before! After this, I sent it to BGH Geartech (the people who now make the Fury), who installed a brand new, genuine Ford ring-and-pinion set, all new bearings, and a brand new Quaife LSD unit. I used fully-synthetic, "Extreme Duty" differential oil when I refitted the axle, and the diff has remained perfect ever since.

The car also has 4-point harnesses and a quickshift kit fitted to the gearbox which tightens up the gear selection nicely. The suspension is Spax adjustable dampers with 2.25" coilover springs. I have two sets of springs for the suspension, a medium setup for road use, and a hard set for trackdays. Even on the harder springs, it will happily clear speed humps and potholes etc.

The bodywork is painted rather than a coloured gelcoat. The body looks presentable, but a close inspection shows that there are a number of chips and some "star-cracks" where stones have been caught in the tyres and fired up inside the wheel arches. There is also some lacquer peeling off the wheels, and they would benefit from a refurb/respray. It would be entirely possible for a competent amateur to put some hours in, and improve the appearance of the car without too much expense. I have never had the time to do it though, and I'm more interested in driving it than staring at it!

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

aww999

posted on 9/10/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, no interest at all in this! Am I miles out on the price, is it the wrong time of year, wrong spec, are people scared off because the lightweight no-frills sportscar has been used on a (shock horror!) trackday? Would welcome any comments, cheers
HowardB

posted on 9/10/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
if I didn't already have one, I would buy it in an instant, if it the one that was on PH 18 months ago, I nearly did,...

Good luck with the sale, but spring time may be more lucky,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.