Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA E-Mark for windscreen
v8jimbob

posted on 9/8/13 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
IVA E-Mark for windscreen

Hi all,

I have just got to the end of my build after several years of work and have now got a problem with the windscreen I've fitted to my car for the IVA.

I know a lot of people say leave it off, which is less of an option now as the IVA includes checks for any evidence that there is a missing windscreen, and some simply don't have one, but when I designed my car it was something I wanted and at the time less of a b*** ache that it has become now the IVA has changed.

For those that don't know the IVA used to permit a BS857 mark on the windscreen. A year or so ago I sucessfully found someone to make a windscreen with this mark and fitted it. However for a million different reason I did not get around to testing my car until now which is post the April 2013 deadline for the concession to accept the BS857 mark.

This means it now HAS to be e-marked. And my screen is as much use as some sticky back plastic.

There is little chance of me removing the screen just for the test. Aside from being no more than a way to pass an incorrectly prepared car just for the test, I would have to remove: Wipers, Washers, De mist, and all the aluminium channel mountings. ...And then refit it... So I really don't want to have to do that.

The problem is there is next to NO ONE that does e-marked custom windscreens. I phoned my local household glass shop, and not only do they stock laminated 6.4mm glass, which is precisely what you need for a windscreen, they will cut it and change peanuts for it.

But, if you want an e-mark, the only people I can find, where you get that exact same glass, plus an extra 10mins to etch the e-mark, and they want £350!! More than the BS857 windscreen you used to get by miles!

Does anyone know of anyone that has solved this and gotten a e-marked windscreen made to spec for less than the cost of a holiday?

Seems that this is a problem that may yet to be solved considering how recently the BS857 concession was ended.

daveb666

posted on 9/8/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
get a copy of an 'E-mark' made up in a vinyl sticker in reverse. Take it to local glass place, get it etched for a few quid. Remove sticker.

sorted.

Stott

posted on 9/8/13 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Don't people cut up a land rover defender screen in such a way as to keep the e mark on it.

Iirc it's perfect as its flat and abundant second hand.

Bad luck though, I thought that concession was going to run and run forever but it appears you are right and its gone

rdodger

posted on 9/8/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Are we talking about a 7 or something with a curved screen?

If it's a 7 can't you get a moulded wind deflector that covers all the holes?

v8jimbob

posted on 9/8/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I like the land rover windscreen. That sounds like a goodun. Cutting a few curves takes a bit of care, but then that's it! Nice one Stott.

Are there any particular landy windscreens that have the correct mark??? Obviously a defender.

Stott

posted on 9/8/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know sorry but at a guess I'd say they've been e marked for years, i'd just go to a breakers and look, I think you can even get it cut at glass places, for instance my local glass place is Treforest glass and they'd do it for me, they are more reasonable than you'd think. They've cut me special shelves from poxy cardboard templates and all sorts. I'm sure there'd be someone local willing to help.
Slimy38

posted on 9/8/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8jimbob
I like the land rover windscreen. That sounds like a goodun. Cutting a few curves takes a bit of care, but then that's it! Nice one Stott.

Are there any particular landy windscreens that have the correct mark??? Obviously a defender.

Keep us updated on how you get on with that, I'm nowhere near looking at windscreen options but if trimming a defender screen does the trick then I'll be following in your footsteps. I'm particularly interested in how you get it cut, whether you do it yourself or get a shop to do it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.