Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electronic Ignition conversion

posted on 7/6/15 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Electronic Ignition conversion

Hi All,

In my efforts to get my engine running sweet I have found out that I have a different dizzy. ( Is that a "diffy" ? )

I've come across an electronic dizzy for my engine and wondered if anyone has fitted something similar to their power plant?

Cheers Paul G

Description
Description

r1_pete

posted on 7/6/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
If it has advance curves specific to your engine it should be OK.

However I'd favour one of the distributorless systems, megajolt & edis, or nodiz, these have no moving parts and are infinitely variable to your engines needs.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 7/6/15 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
My trouble is Pete that I couldn't fit a Megajolt. Wouldn't know where to start, and I certainly wouldn't be able to set it up.

The Powerspark spec says "matched to all 4 cylinder Lotus 907 engines including Eclat, Ellite," etc etc. (Mines from an Eclat)

It says it needs a lower resistance coil and just two wires to connect. (And presumably set timing) Coil & Dizzy = £79.95

I think I could manage fitting that.

Thanks for the reply

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 7/6/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul , haven't fitted that make of distributor but I have fitted several Aldon Igniter distrutors that have improved running of several engines , mainly MGBs that were factory fitted with distributors hat never had the correct advance curve . Must meet up when I'm able to drive again. Mel

posted on 7/6/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Drive again????

Whats up mate?

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 7/6/15 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Had a double hernia done yesterday , certain parts are black and blue and Im not walking too well. Will be off work for a while

posted on 7/6/15 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Had a double hernia done yesterday , certain parts are black and blue and Im not walking too well. Will be off work for a while

Let me know when you feel a bit better and I'll drive you to drink.

GWS
Paul G

gremlin1234

posted on 8/6/15 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I got a similar one for a 1999 vw polo a while ago, no probs.
alfas

posted on 8/6/15 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
cant you fit such a hall-effect module, instead points, to your existing dizzy?

i ask cause i wonder if those brand-new repro-dizzy´s do give the same / correct mechanical advance (flyweight, springs) as the original dizzy.

DIY Si

posted on 9/6/15 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
For all of my minis, virtually the first thing I did was to fit a stage one kit and an Aldon dizzy. Sod farting about with points, odd weights and what not. For the fit and forget option, they suited what I wanted perfectly and I never had a problem or issue with any of the ones I fitted. Dead simple to fit, and time as normal.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

alfas

posted on 10/6/15 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
use the original dizzy and install one of those electronic modules (accuspark, hotspark, ignitior) instead the points and you are fine.

i´ve done this to all my and my mates cars as basically the first job after purchase. i never cared about the dizzy condition as those modules will also work with a worn dizzy.

imo, you dont need to buy a complete dizzy, not the cheapish chinese repro´s, nor the expensive aldon ones.

[Edited on 10/6/15 by alfas]

Irony

posted on 10/6/15 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
When I built my engine I had a choice between a Dizzy and electronic ignition. I ended up buying a used megajolt from a user on here and bought the rest of the bits from eBay. I must admit it was dead easy. The hardest part was fabricating the bracket for the crank position sensor. I even bought a laptop PC from the local car boot for a fiver.
alfas

posted on 10/6/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
sure...a fully electronic ignition, dizzy-less, would be the top of the top.

but i think the thread opener is not into fabricating brackets etc.

also for the 907 lotus engine its not that easy to find mappings on the www (anyway, its not too difficult to programm a mapping yourselves)

[Edited on 10/6/15 by alfas]

posted on 10/6/15 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas

use the original dizzy and install one of those electronic modules (accuspark, hotspark, ignitior) instead the points and you are fine.

But my problem is I have the wrong dizzy.

Are you saying I could still use it ?

Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 10/6/15 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
If your distributor isn't the correct one for the engine you need one with the correct auto advance , either points or preferably electronic. If the one in your original post has the correct advance curve that's the one to go for . The advantage of something like Mega jolt is it is programable but it would help having a base map to start with. An individually mapped system would ensure you get the best for your engine IF you could get it set up properly. If you have any info on the correct advance curve it would help setting a base map . With cars like the MGB , a lot of them had distributors factory fitted with totally wrong advance curves (How many times have you heard MGBs running on for ages after being turned off?) The Aldon distributors have corrected advance curves, They may do one for the 907 engine? I don't know but maybe worth looking into ? If yours doesn't have the correct advance curve you will never get the best out of it
gremlin1234

posted on 10/6/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
But my problem is I have the wrong dizzy.
Are you saying I could still use it ?
Paul G
if they say the replacement is setup for that engine, then just go for it.

alfas

posted on 10/6/15 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
which replacement? you mean the accuspark? the accusark repro-dizzy´s are universal dizzys, they are made to the exact measurements as the original lucas ones, but i doubt that they did care about engine-specific advance curves.

@907: tell me what is wrong with your dizzy? which one SHOULD be fitted-which one IS fitted?

posted on 11/6/15 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
which replacement? you mean the accuspark? the accusark repro-dizzy´s are universal dizzys, they are made to the exact measurements as the original lucas ones, but i doubt that they did care about engine-specific advance curves.

@907: tell me what is wrong with your dizzy? which one SHOULD be fitted-which one IS fitted?

The clamp ring (timing) has at some time been overtightened and broken the edge of the ally case.
It still clamps up and holds, and if it was the correct dizzy then I wouldn't be too bothered.

It is stamped:- 40569 K and BN261 . I believe this is a part number and type number.
I am also led to believe that the type number refers to the internals only.

Google search shows this to be from a (hangs head in shame) 1960 Morris Minor 1000

How can I take the car to shows, and when asked "what's under the bonnet" answer with Moggy 1000?
O, the shame.

I wish I knew what should be fitted, although I have been told Lotus used the dizzy from an MGBGT. ( ??? )

My engine is from a '76 Eclat which is why I'm considering the Powerspark. ( see pic )

Cheers
Paul G

Dizzy
Dizzy

[Edited on 11/6/15 by 907]

alfas

posted on 11/6/15 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
the lotus elite / eclat S1 had a lucas 25D dizzy fitted from the factory. from 1976 onwards a 25D4

S2 cars hat a 43D, the excel se a 45D

the early cars had points fitted, the later ones (but dont know from when) came with a point-less dizzy already from the factory

as the dizzy fitted is damaged i would go for a replacement...maybe you can ask the guys of accuspark if their dizzy´s have the following advance curve:

posted on 12/6/15 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^

That looks very helpful info. Thanks very much.

I'm off for a chat with the rolling road man late this afternoon. I know that he hates the cheap replacement electronic dizzies,
much preferring a points set up.

Personally I like the idea of a maintenance free set up if there is such a thing, as access to the points is difficult, and almost
impossible without removing the carbs.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Paul G

posted on 18/6/15 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'm back again.

I've had a chat with the tech help section of Powerspark and they say that the spec 5 (see chart in previous post)
is the way to go. No vacuum advance with this one.
I have bought it and am in the process of fitting. The pic shows the dizzy with one carb above. With the second carb
on and the throttle linkage and air filters on, if you can imagine that, you can see why I'm not keen on adjusting points
every few months. I did have to buy a matching low resistance coil as well.

On the non-electronic front I have found out that a dizzy from an MGB GT 1800 is the one to use.
It has the same advance curve as in the Lotus data sheet so if points and vac advance is better, or the electronic
dizzy fails, then at least I have another option. I've been offered a "good second hand" one for £25 so I'll get it and keep
it as an alternative.

I'll try to pinch a couple of hours today and fit the carbs back on, and with fingers crossed, turn the key.

Cheers,
Paul G

Lotus electronic dizzy
Lotus electronic dizzy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.