Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maximum torque of a h/ duty type 9
Shooter63

posted on 19/10/15 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Maximum torque of a h/ duty type 9

As the title says, what would be the maximum torque that a fully modded type 9 gearbox ( spc or bgh e6 ) be able to handle in a kit car, say 700kg all up, I know the bgh states this but I presume that would be for a tin top, the tyres would be 888s. I ask this as I'm waivering between a N/A set up or a turbo as a winter power boost.

Shooter

madteg

posted on 19/10/15 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have been running 300 bhp through a standard type 9, i have just upgraded to a long ratio BGH box because of the ratio's. Anyway i have been working on the theory that the car is that light it breaks traction before the box breaks. I have done several track days running slicks, also broke a driveshaft and propshaft at Santapod. Hope this helps. Kev
jeffw

posted on 19/10/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I ran 300 ft lb and was breaking an E8 BGH once or twice a year. A turbo will be much harsher on the box than the Rotrex was.

Dopdog

posted on 19/10/15 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I ran 300 ft lb and was breaking an E8 BGH once or twice a year. A turbo will be much harsher on the box than the Rotrex was.

I did the same with my 270bhp striker minced a trans x box twice not sure of the torque but I seem to remember 250bhp being a quoted max but I may be wrong as I usually am

beaver34

posted on 20/10/15 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
i run 270lbft through a spc quaife gearset and thats been ok for the last 1,500 miles

have snapped a half shaft though launching hard

richardm6994

posted on 20/10/15 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running 270bhp and 303ftlbs through a standard type 9.......done about 5k miles and a few track days.

I'm also working on the theory of a light car and the wheels breaking traction with the road before breaking the box.......and because of this theory I'm really undecided whether or not to fit a ATB diff?!?!....

Dopdog

posted on 20/10/15 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
I'm running 270bhp and 303ftlbs through a standard type 9.......done about 5k miles and a few track days.

I'm also working on the theory of a light car and the wheels breaking traction with the road before breaking the box.......and because of this theory I'm really undecided whether or not to fit a ATB diff?!?!....

I would say you guys are not trying hard enough😊

Oddified

posted on 20/10/15 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's little bit down to luck, some have regular issues and some don't with decent power going through them.

Torque and grip are the main things of course but don't forget the clutch, an unsprung paddle is much harder on the box than an uprated sprung organic.

I have a type 9 in my car with a tranx straight cut kit inside, uprated sprung organic clutch, atlas axle, zf lsd, quaife shafts and when i do rwyb meetings i use Micky Thompson drag tyres. The launch is hard on the drive train and it's never broken the box, and that's not because i'm going easy on it either, lifts front wheels off the ground and does 1.5sec 60' times which anyone that does a bit of drag racing will testify isn't shabby by any standards.

I also change the oil regularly and use lucas shock resistant gear oil..

It's nearly 10 years old now and done around 15000 miles (mostly road miles of course though) and touching wood (the good luck type before someone says something! ) is still working well, i was out and about in the car this morning

Ian

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/10/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
272bhp and 309ftlb. Running reasonably small turbo (low lag) 660kg plus me and standard type 9 v6 box. So far it's been fine but I don't sprint like JeffW so it's not under as much stress.

Ultimately it depends how you drive the car and what you do with it.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Paul Turner

posted on 21/10/15 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not really ragged my BGH type 9, a few sprints, List 1A road tyres and a 175 bhp Zetec is not exactly going to overstress it. Did a few trackdays when it had 208 bhp but only list 1A again and no race starts so again not exactly overstressing it.

But, before the type 9 it was fitted with its cousin, the type E with a Quaiffe Pro syncro set. The car had a steel 175 bhp x-flow and ran in National Mod-Prod hill climbs and sprints on 9" wide slicks. In 4 seasons it never missed a beat (once the initial problem was sorted) and is still going strong in a 250 bhp VX Westfield.

Mate has a BGH type 9 in his 250 bhp VX engine car. Its 20 years old next year and has not had a rebuild yet despite being on the track (sprints) all its life (sometimes on list 1A but mostly on 1B).

They are way better than the doom mongers would suggest.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.