Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pocket sliding doors, anyone?!
jps

posted on 11/3/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Pocket sliding doors, anyone?!

Neither car, not locost, but it's amazing what people on here know about...

I had one of these fitted about a year ago:http://www.eclisse.co.uk/Products/Single/Single whilst we were having an extension done.

The chippy did not seem confident when he put it in (had never done one before) and now it's knackered...

I *think* the problem is that he cut the door too long, it dragged on the bottom and jumped the back roller off the rail at the top. I've got it off the front roller too now but can't get the door out of the wall... The instructions for fitting are wonderfully blank about actually sizing the door, apart from claiming it'll be "easily removable"...

So any advice from someone who has experience with these things would be VERY helpful!!!

daviep

posted on 11/3/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not fitted one myself but the website seems to indicate that the door is 75mm shorter than the external frame size. See HERE or HERE

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jps

posted on 12/3/16 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I guess that measurement is to allow the studwork around the frame to be sized right (once the frame is fitted into the wall the 'top' is not accessible).

I'm not sure what sort of clearances would be normal, currently the door overlaps about 3cm above the door jamb at the top, with about 3mm gap at the bottom and when it's fully pulled across it is still about 15mm short of clearing the side of the frame... ( hence I can't get it out). Wondering if it'd be normal for it to have less /no overlaps...

DIY Si

posted on 13/3/16 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Having just fitted a different manufactures kit to my cottage, once fully fitted the door won't come out. The architrave round the opening prevents the door from being taken out. If you pull off the pit across the top of the door (it should only have a few thin nails or pins holding it in) you will see the two carriages that hold the door up, assuming they're still in position. If one has dropped off, it will be back in the wall. It shouldn't have jumped the rails as the door is more likely to drop off/down. For mine to come out I have to unbolt the end stop and run both carriages out of the ally track they run in.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

scudderfish

posted on 13/3/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
When it does work, do you ever make Star Trek door noises with it?
daviep

posted on 13/3/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Cheers, I guess that measurement is to allow the studwork around the frame to be sized right (once the frame is fitted into the wall the 'top' is not accessible).

I'm not sure what sort of clearances would be normal, currently the door overlaps about 3cm above the door jamb at the top, with about 3mm gap at the bottom and when it's fully pulled across it is still about 15mm short of clearing the side of the frame... ( hence I can't get it out). Wondering if it'd be normal for it to have less /no overlaps... [/quote

Looks to me that in all instances the door panel is sized 75mm shorter than the frame work, so if you still have the details of the kit you fitted you can work out the correct door height.

Looks like to remove the door you need to remove the door jambs first.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.