Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Pinto engines - camshafts equivalency
xico_ze54

posted on 6/8/18 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Pinto engines - camshafts equivalency

hi all

I have an old motor Pinto 1.6 came from a Taunus 1600, a sort of twin of the Cortina Mk4 of 1978, it runs but with a clicking sound that I found was from a camshaft with 2 cams with some marks of wear.

so I found a camshaft for sale from a 2.0 Pinto angine, don't know what engine and year. I ask: does it fit in the 1.6 engine from the 1978 car?

by eye they seems the same part.

thanks in advance.
Amadeu

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 7/8/18 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
The 2.0L camshaft should fit the 1600
The 2.0L camshaft has more valve lift and more duration it gives an increase in power to the 1600 engine
The camshaft should be timed for the 2.0L engine
A thinner head gasket or a Head skim would give a small increase in compression that would be useful.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/8/18 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
It will be a straight swap. Don't forget to change the finger followers and the spray bar. As I remember the valve clearances are the same so adjust accordingly and the timing marks should be the same (just make sure the cam wheel goes back on the same as it came off, I've seen people get into trouble turning it around). Then with the rocker cover OFF turn the engine over with the starter to make SURE that you have a GOOD oil supply to ALL 4 FINGERS/FOLLOWERS.

HTH's

JGG

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/18 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
always worth running it with the rocker cover off to confirm the spray bar actually pours oil over the rockers as they block very easily, I usually doubled the hole size and oil does not fly all over the place on idle. If they block it wears the cam out in no time, pretty crap design really as there should be more than one oil source.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
xico_ze54

posted on 7/8/18 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
many thanks to all. your advices were very usefull.

regards
Amadeu

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

indykid

posted on 7/8/18 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
And finally, if it's a 2.0 transit (low compression) engine cam, it's the same lift as the 1600 anyway so would be a direct swap

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.