Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: battery test at halford
bikecarbfred

posted on 26/2/19 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
battery test at halford

halford checked my battery and passed it , printed off reciept as pass.
voltage was 12.2v which i told em was not good and couldn't start the car.

they said it's almost as new. the amps rated at 440 and they passed it at 439.

they said it just needed a good charge.

so to check a battery properly you check it for ampage?

SJ

posted on 26/2/19 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
A load test looks at how the voltage holds up under load. A battery tester is basically a thick bar that gets rather hot and a volt meter.
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/19 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
was the battery in the car and being charged by the engine? if so when it's running the battery should be around 13.5v, if it is as low as you state then I'd suspect it isn't being charged sufficiently and it's not your battery at fault but the alternator. Why did you get the test done in the first place??
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 26/2/19 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
12.2V is perfectly normal for a part discharged battery, particularly if there was any load on it. You should have a round 13.5 - 14.0 V when the battery is being charged by the alternator.
Modern battery testers are a bit more sophisticated than the type SJ talks about & do various tests, but particularly look at how voltage decays while a heavy discharge is applied by the tester.
It's rare for a knackered battery not to show up as such on a modern tester such as I would expect Halfords to use

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
SJ

posted on 26/2/19 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Modern battery testers are a bit more sophisticated than the type SJ talks about & do various tests, but particularly look at how voltage decays while a heavy discharge is applied by the tester.
It's rare for a knackered battery not to show up as such on a modern tester such as I would expect Halfords to use

I don't do sophisticated!

40inches

posted on 26/2/19 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

You drink wine from a mug?

theconrodkid

posted on 26/2/19 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
as Halfrauds main mission is to sell you stuff you may or may not need, i imagine the battery is ok, try checking for dodgy conexions and give the battery a nice long slow charge.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

SJ

posted on 26/2/19 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

You drink wine from a mug?

What's wrong with the bottle?

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/2/19 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
The old fashioned home battery test used to be measure the battery voltage in the car (engine off) then put the full beam on and see what happens. Knackered battery would see a big voltage drop.
But agreed the old fashioned "controlled short circuit" tester is reassuringly brutal and impossible to fool.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 26/2/19 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
... reassuringly brutal

I like that.
I wonder how many batteries have exploded using one.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 26/2/19 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
... reassuringly brutal

I like that.
I wonder how many batteries have exploded using one.

Well, at least one to my personal knowledge!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 26/2/19 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Halford will have use a solid state impedance tester on the battery this estimates the life left in thr battery and CCA
Battery tests these days don't involve a very heavy load on the battery . AC impedance testers can be used on parially discharged batteries.
Althougn if the battery is suspect and passes an AC impedance test I would follow up wiith a high load volts drop test at 40% of the rated CCA of the battery.
However 12.2v indicates the the battery needs charged ---- ie an alternator fault or electrical drain has flattened the battery. With no load on it a good in service battery should show at least 12.4v in current UK weather conditions

Autool Battery Tester Amazon UK

[Edited on 26/2/19 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bikecarbfred

posted on 18/5/19 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
First of all I feel happy, with the help of guys such as you on internet, I took my car out after two years of building it. I was nervous has heck but went allright . Ran it for 5 minutes but the problem with the hot start was still there but won't let that ruin my day.

Okay so I can repeat this fault as follows;

The car is fully charged with trickle charge to 13.5V

Start cold engine: shows 14V on gauge to prove alternator is working

While driving around it is 13.7V, when fan kicks in, it's 13.6V.

Get engine to operating temperature, which happens pretty quick , so im assuming it's a "tight'" engine.

after 5 minutes drive (I know it's not enough but shouldn't be that drained from full to not start a car twice) stop car and try to re-start. Struggling to turn crank, can't start.

Put trickle charger back, shows 12V on charger gauge. Charge it up to 13V on trickle charger.
Time to try to start HOT engine, and turns crank n starts.

The modifications that have taken place that can affect the start;

1.4L to 1.6L displacement.
Race/Road cam installed with new springs n lifters.
New bearings, pistons, rings etc

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 18/5/19 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
After getting the car boot have you tried leaving the car for 5 minutes before cranking? Then leave it for 30 minutes and try cranking.

I'm wondering if you have fuel vaporisation or something not related to the battery.

[Edited on 18/5/19 by MikeR]

bikecarbfred

posted on 18/5/19 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
After getting the car boot have you tried leaving the car for 5 minutes before cranking? Then leave it for 30 minutes and try cranking.

I'm wondering if you have fuel vaporisation or something not related to the battery.

[Edited on 18/5/19 by MikeR]

@ mike, it's the same set of carbs ive had working for a few years on another engine. the layout of the engine is the same.
so not sure how the temperatures of the bowls would differ from that i've had previous.

v8kid

posted on 19/5/19 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Had same problem with mine - geared starter motor solved it. Can now start a stinking hot high compression V8 with a motorbike battery

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

bikecarbfred

posted on 29/5/19 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
got a stronger battery with more cca but same thing happened.
okay im not driving it along time. 6-10 minutes and i know new batteries need a good charge but im noticing the the voltage drops from 14.4-14.7v to 13.6V-13.1V after the engine temperature gets up to 90C. starts to drop. so dont think its enything to do with tight engine because as soon as i put trickly charger on the battery, it fires up the engine instantly.

new alternator, new starter motor, new batteries. so now new cables?

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 29/5/19 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the old battery?
I'm thinking put the old battery on charge, drive the car, come back and quickly swap batteries. Now try to start the car.

It will prove its a charging problem. I think it still won't start so the problem is elsewhere.

bikecarbfred

posted on 29/5/19 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
yeah ive got two new batteries now.

but the time it takes for to swap battery is about 3 minutes.

i used a mains trickle charger and in 3-5 minutes charged battery up to start engine.

bikecarbfred

posted on 23/6/19 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
problem was negative battery lead that goes to gearbox . was a cut in it , where the cut was only half of the wires there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.