Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Other than MX5
scotty g

posted on 15/3/19 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Other than MX5

Hi all,
I'm currently collecting the parts needed for my next project, its a Fury body that i'm going to stretch a bit to fit onto a Locost chassis.
Now i've been looking out for a cheap MX5 1.8 as the prefered donor of choice these days but also been looking at any other options and just seen a BMW 116i SE.
1.6 engine, all ally and 6 speed box and must say i'm tempted even though at 121BHP it's a little less than the MX5.
What do you guys reckon, is it a contender?? Pros and Cons. Discuss.
Cheers.

Paul_Arion

posted on 15/3/19 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Stick with the MX5 I recon - loads of rusting donors around and the engine is very easily tuned for plenty of power with a turbo kit. Try the MX5nutz Facebook buy n sell page as loads of cars come up on there at some very good prices
scotty g

posted on 15/3/19 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Paul i know its a great engine and they are still cheap and plentiful, i just like to try and think outside the box sometimes. haha
Paul_Arion

posted on 15/3/19 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Yeah Paul i know its a great engine and they are still cheap and plentiful, i just like to try and think outside the box sometimes. haha

Ah well in that case I recon an RX8 rotary engine would be fun in a Fury bodyshell

theduck

posted on 15/3/19 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
The rx8 rotary engine would be superb in a kit, but its an acquired taste and has its inherent reliability issues, if going rotary better off with an an older 13b to be honest.

As for BMW, could be a great donor, but go for a 6 cylinder rather than one of the of the 4 cylinders, something like an m50b28 would be great.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.