Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Odd steering issue
David Jenkins

posted on 1/7/19 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Odd steering issue

This is something I've become aware of over the past few months - the car's steering is really easy to turn left, but takes noticeably more effort to turn to the right. Not massively more effort, but noticeable.

• The tracking was done some time ago, but I haven't had a thumps or knocks to the front suspension since then.
  • All tyres are the correct pressure.
  • The chassis is straight.

Now, it makes sense for me to get the tracking re-checked and to check that the steering wheel really is actually in the middle of the rack's range. I can't think of what else to check - any ideas?

rusty nuts

posted on 1/7/19 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
If no suspension damage try swapping the wheels side to side, if directional tyres swap front to rear .
CosKev3

posted on 1/7/19 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Are you talking about all the time,static and moving,at any speeds?
nick205

posted on 2/7/19 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Could you overhaul the steering rack and perhaps check/replace track rods (inner ball joints) and track rod ends (outer ball joints)?

A worn ball joint can become stiffer to operate although you'd generally notice a perished rubber boot and loss of grease at that ball joint.

I overhauled the Sierra steering rack in this way when building my MK Indy. I've also overhauled several tin top steering racks in this way. The result is usually lighter and more positive steering action.

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/7/19 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
How about with the front of the car off the ground? Ideally with the wheels at working height in relation to the chassis.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/19 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Are you talking about all the time,static and moving,at any speeds?

All the time, when I'm on the move - when static, it's heavy in both directions!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/19 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
How about with the front of the car off the ground? Ideally with the wheels at working height in relation to the chassis.

That's one of the first things I'll try, when I get to it. Not sure how to get the wheels to the right height - I need a pair of those wheel pivots that garages use!

rusty nuts

posted on 2/7/19 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve got a pair of turntables you can borrow David if you want . If the steering is stiff all the time I would disconnect each track rod end from the hub then check each hub is free to turn on the ball joints . Check the steering column for binding especially if using a Sierra column , the bush where the column goes through the bulkhead can cause binding , a squirt of lube may help . I replaced the Sierra bush on mine with a self centralising bearing which made the steering a lot lighter and helped with the self cantering. Finally check the steering rack, it may be possible to lubricate the rack just by easing back the rack gaiters.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/7/19 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think I've fixed it...

The 'straight forward' steering wheel position wasn't in the centre of the rack - about 1.7 turns one way, 1.2 the other. Got it reasonably close to central, straightened up the wheel on the rack's splines and went out for a test drive. It seemed to be much better - and I can't think why! Surely the rack should feel the same for normal turning, no matter where on the rack happens to be central?

All I've got to do now is tweak the track rods so that the wheel arms are truly level when running straight (it's 'a bit on the huh' just now).

Mel - I've lubricated the steering bush thoroughly so that's all good (I must fit that bearing I've been hoarding for the last 3 years!). Lubricating the rack UJs sounds like a good idea - easy to do while I'm at it..

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/7/19 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Just down to the wear on the rack teeth, they will be more worn in the middle and less as you go further to the edges since around the centre is the most used area. Having the rack not centred just meant that tightening due to clearances reducing was notably different one side to the other.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.