Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows 10 problems any experts in here ?
steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Windows 10 problems any experts in here ?

I had to update my main Pc to windows 10, as the previous versions were not supported,
This was done in Jan this year, and at first seemed to be ok, but as the months have gone on, the system crashes maybe
20 times a day,

We get a blue screen, with various error codes that I will add below, and each time this happens, I google how to fix
the problem, do what I can, and restart, and none of the fixs work

some of the errors,

Page fault in non paged area
Kmode exception not handled
irql not less or equel
Memory management

Now with all the above, is driving me up the wall, to add to the problems we now have, is we cant watch an vids
as you can start a vid, like Binky, it will play about two mins, and just hang with aloud sound from the speakers,
but does not turn off

Also, the printer now, as worked fine, only prints a miniture of what we need, printer is a cannon mx280 that worked fine back
in January, after the win 10 update, but not now

Ive done a fresh install of win 10, all the drivers appear to be up to date, and virus checks etc do not find anything

Any win 10 experts who could give any guidance

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rf900rush

posted on 22/5/20 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
Not exactly an expert but looks more hardware related, pointing towards memory including hard drives.
But knowing Microsoft it could easily be either.

Have you checked "Device manager" to see if all the drivers are complete.

One thing I was told a while back, was that hardware and software often need to be of similar ages.

I could be worth checking if your motherboard has thee latest BIOS version.
Be very careful, if this goes wrong you will need another Motherboard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Ive been through every item in device manager, and every item that required a driver, says its up to date

Nothing has changed in my PC, there's no new hardware, or software, the only thing that has changed is Windows 10
is now installed,

I whish I had never done it, it really is that bad,
3 crashes already today, and only been on the pc since 0830

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rf900rush

posted on 22/5/20 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not go back to the old windows
What version did you upgrade from.

Has the system had a new hard drive, does is have enough memory.

The main issues I had with my Windows 10 was the constant updates. and after loosing several hours work, when the system just rebooted
with no warning, to complete the update.

So I have had updates turned off for several years now (As far as I know this can only be done on the Pro or higher versions).

You do have to be patient, Microsoft are still learning how to use hardware correctly, they only being doing it for 45years
That's about how long I have worked for , I have know idea want I am doing most of the time.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I had tried the revert back, and cant now, as its well over the time period, it was windows xp

The whole system, hardware etc is exactly the same as it was a year ago, nothing has changed

windows 10 ran perfectly well from Jan this year till about end of Feb, and has got progressively worse now almost on a daily basis

I have the win 10 updates now paused for 7 days, as cant turn them off, and just run them weekly, all at the same time,

However, after uninstalling the printer, rebooting, and installing the printer, something ive done about 10 times already,
It works fine now !!!

steve

HowardB

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I had to update my main Pc to windows 10, as the previous versions were not supported,
This was done in Jan this year, and at first seemed to be ok, but as the months have gone on, the system crashes maybe
20 times a day,

We get a blue screen, with various error codes that I will add below, and each time this happens, I google how to fix
the problem, do what I can, and restart, and none of the fixs work

some of the errors,

Page fault in non paged area
Kmode exception not handled
irql not less or equel
Memory management

Now with all the above, is driving me up the wall, to add to the problems we now have, is we cant watch an vids
as you can start a vid, like Binky, it will play about two mins, and just hang with aloud sound from the speakers,
but does not turn off

Also, the printer now, as worked fine, only prints a miniture of what we need, printer is a cannon mx280 that worked fine back
in January, after the win 10 update, but not now

Ive done a fresh install of win 10, all the drivers appear to be up to date, and virus checks etc do not find anything

Any win 10 experts who could give any guidance

steve

as mentioned elsewhere, this sounds like hardware and specifically memory related, if the RAM is low and it is using the HDD to page swap (overflow RAM) then if the HDD has a hicup it will fall over.

What are the m/c specs?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
How do I find out what "What are the m/c specs?" is

steve

steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
It has 4gb of ram. with 3.25 usable, and as said, its always had that, so nothing has changed

Intel (R) core (tm)2 duo cpu E4500 @2.200GHZ

HowardB

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
It has 4gb of ram. with 3.25 usable, and as said, its always had that, so nothing has changed

Intel (R) core (tm)2 duo cpu E4500 @2.200GHZ

The professional I asked says that it is either, faulty RAM or corrupt Page file on the HDD.
If there are two partitions on the HDD, it is possible to move the page file (virtual memory) as below.

Right click on this PC, properties, advanced systems settings, advanced tab, performance, settings, virtual memory, move to alternate partition.

If it is faulty RAM and the machine has say 4x1GB in it then it would be possible to remove a single RAM stick (when it is OFF) and reboot seeing if the issue repeats.

if the RAM is a single 4GB or worse still is fixed to the m/c then it will be difficult.

I don't know off the top of my head the minimum specs for W10 but would recommend 8GB and 256GB SSD these days.

HTH

H

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

SteveWalker

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'd definitely suspect a memory problem.

Head to somewhere like https://www.memtest86.com

You can download the free version, put it on a USB stick and boot from the USB stick.

It is stand-alone, so it will test your machine's RAM, without even starting Windows. It will repeatedly test all of the memory with varying patterns and report any faults.

richmars

posted on 22/5/20 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you were running Windows XP I would suggest you've got your money's worth out of it.
It does sound like memory, so you could spend a few days looking for the fault, maybe buying some new memory, only for something else to fail. Or you could go a buy a new (or newer second hand) PC, that will work.
I hope you have everything of value backed up?

steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ive run both memtest and mdsched, and neither has found any faults

I might just order a new box off ebay, and stick my hard drive in there, assuming its not the hard drive that's at fault

but thanks guys, I appreciate your time and effort in trying to help

regards

steve

SteveWalker

posted on 22/5/20 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
One more try. https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Which will give you information from your hard-disk's own SMART monitoring - including the error rate. It showed me that two hard-disks from Aria, advertised as clean pulls and implying that they were removed from brand new customer returns or pre-built machines where the customer wanted a larger hard-disk, had something like 25,000 hours each of operation on them!

David Jenkins

posted on 22/5/20 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I understand your pain...

LINKY

... I shall say no more!

gremlin1234

posted on 22/5/20 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
everything points to memory (ram), but could also be psu
quote:
Ive run both memtest and mdsched, and neither has found any faults
I might just order a new box off ebay, and stick my hard drive in there, assuming its not the hard drive that's at fault

if effectively building a new machine, I strongly recommend going for an ssd (solid state drive)

mcerd1

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
^^ I've just installed win10 on my old machine too - so far so good

but I've done the same as always and got a completely fresh hard drive for the new install - that way I can always go back
(1Tb samsung evo 860 this time round - but the 250GB versions are a pretty reasonable ~£55 at the moment)

having said that my old machine is an i7 920 (still 8 generations out of date, but leaps and bounds on from a core 2 duo)
and my RAM is only a year or two old (24GB DDR3 tripple channel set I got a wee while back)
and my PSU is brand new (old one died in a way that gave some interesting crashes - it was 12 years old though so can't complain)
and my GPU is only ~3 years old (GTX970 not amazing but compatible with most of the latest stuff, old one died giving weird crashes just like the PSU)
My CPU and Motherboard are really the only old bits left - both of which are built like a brick s***t house - the CPU is known for taking huge overclocking and the board is built to last under very heavy loads - not that I've ever used it that hard and yet I know I'm pushing it using such old hardware....

Your average consumer grade board with a bog std. core 2 duo will normally wear out much faster than that and you've already had more years out of it than I have !

Add to that the fact that while Win10 technically supports your setup its not exactly being developed for it - so bugs will happen when running hardware built for windows XP (aka Windows NT 5.1)

I'd get a new PSU, motherboard, CPU and RAM

also get a real graphics card - any entry level / couple of generations old one with half decent reviews at all - some of the built-in graphics can hardly even run the windows desktop and its stealing your RAM to do it too

[Edited on 22/5/2020 by mcerd1]

-

steve m

posted on 24/5/20 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Would a failed graphics card give similar results? as I have only just noticed that theres no sound coming from the card
But if I plug the speakers into the front port, there is

also, is it worth buying some more ram, as I have four ports, but only two are used

steve

gremlin1234

posted on 24/5/20 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
a failed card could cause these problems, and relatively easy to test.
if buying more memory, try it first instead of the current memory, rather than in addition

02GF74

posted on 25/5/20 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
A simple thing to try is remove the memory module and refit making sure that they are fully seated.

About a month ago my desktop started playing silly buggers to the point where it would not boot, diagnostic beeps indicated memory.

Just doing the above fixed it.

steve m

posted on 19/6/20 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
An update to my Windows 10 misery

I had had enough, so bought a new PC and have MY old 1tb hard drive in there, did it all myself, and I know nothing about PC's
It works perfectly,

My old system, with ALL of the hardware attached is exactly the same as I had before all these pc problems I had, now has the new 1tb drive that came with my new system, and everything works perfectly, so ive given it to my Grand daughter, and she does school work, and watches Videos, the lot, even watches TV

so, I don't think it was a memory, or hardware problem, just good new win 10 screwing up everything

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.