Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 - comes out of gear but not in
Just

posted on 25/6/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 - comes out of gear but not in

So, another run out and another problem! This time it is the gearbox or clutch. I was driving along fine with no issues when at a junction I suddenly couldn't find a gear. It came into neutral ok but wouldn't go into first or second or reverse. Eventually I got third and pulled off (slowly!). Then I got fourth easy enough, back to third no problem.

After that it does the same thing, comes out easy enough but won't go in without a bit of hassle and if I stop, getting first or second is a one in five attempt. Giving the engine a tickle seems to work but this could be coincidence. Reverse makes a real clang when I do get it and even coming out of reverse was hard work once I got home.

If I dip the clutch the engine can rev freely and there is no slip once in gear.

Any ideas?

dave r

posted on 25/6/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
clutch cable is maybe not tight enough on the adjuster, or its too close to the exhaust and getting melted

least that gave similar symptons on mine!

dave (also near northampton)

raccoonradar

posted on 25/6/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
clutch drag ie clutch not dis-engauging fully, adjustment ? check clutch pedal can be pressed to floor , reving it matches gearbox to engine speed to it goes in better, not much of a fix

owelly

posted on 25/6/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
And check the oil level.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 25/6/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Press the clutch, stick it in first gear then try to start it up, not facing a wall though, just to check but it definitely sounds like cable adjustment as said previously.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr G

posted on 25/6/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Try putting it into reverse THEN selecting first gear and see what happens.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Danozeman

posted on 25/6/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Definately sounds like clutch not disngaging as said.

Does it select ok with the engine not running?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

BKLOCO

posted on 25/6/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a gear extension fitted?
Have you got a "quick shift" fitted?

I have experienced similar problems.

I am still diagnosing but I think this is being caused on my setup by a combination of:

Worn plastic insert in the shift mechanism.

Shift not opperating at the correct position on the radius of the shift due to the quick shift.

Extension binding due to insufficient clearance between the bushing and the shaft.

Mine is easier to shift if I lift the gear shift slightly when changing gear.

[Edited on 25-6-06 by BKLOCO]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Just

posted on 26/6/06 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, will run through some of the Qs and post back. I have a Westfield remote changer and with it sat in the garage an hour after getting back, it will go in and out of all gears without clutch with the engine off - does this point to clutch adj still?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.