Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aahhh! I'm drowning in sawing machine specs!!!
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
aahhh! I'm drowning in sawing machine specs!!!

I got a load of stretchable vinyl for making seats and interior covering for a few cars plus rather a lot, probably too much hood material. Now I have to saw the whole lot together only prob is the spec's I'm finding on the websites do tell me what the machines will cope with, just how many weird stitch patterns they can do. All I'm after is a simple bombproof machine so has anyone used one that they could recommend?????

ta.

off course I'm also hard at work

[Edited on 22/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 22/3/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Please let me know what you find out!!!
I'm thinking about DIYing my own hood...

I suspect a normal sewing machine isn't up to the job. If you look at industrial sewing machines they have different machines for different tasks- I suspect the "universal" nature of the domestic machine goes against it being able to power through the thick material used for roofs, let alone the webbing used to hold it taught....

tobymack

posted on 22/3/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
in my experience these are pretty good....
;link ....

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
you may laugh but I have one of those and it is bombproof. If I could find out how to set up the bottom bobbin I would use it. I have tried it out (without thread) and it will easly cope with the hood material and I like the way I have total control over how fast works.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
aha! had a brainwave and look what I've found

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/Parts_&_Ser/Inst%20book.htm

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
unbelievable I've now got it's 31 page manual!! for free.

I'll get the little sucker up and running tonight and have a go

BenB

posted on 22/3/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yup- I did actually wonder about going all old-school on it..... Presumably unless you bend the needle the only limiting factor is how much weight you can put on the treddle...
tobymack

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

you may laugh but I have one of those and it is bombproof.

Indeed, my suggestion was serious, despite the smiley.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I could find one of those beasties - just right for what I want to do (especially if it's cheap!)

Bluemoon

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Look in charity shops, picked ours up for 10 quid... The only problem is it's very heavy and I nackerd by back!

Cheers

Dan

BenB

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a few on Fleebay..... Look for "Singer Treadle"
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobymack
quote:

you may laugh but I have one of those and it is bombproof.

Indeed, my suggestion was serious, despite the smiley.

I know

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Let me give it a go guys and see what these machines can really do and I'll let you know. I am a bit wary of an electric one and I can see me blasting all over the place and making a right mess, fine if you are used to them but I’m not. At least with hand or foot powered one you can take it at a very slow pace. Don’t knock the technology these machines coped for a very long time on much thicker clothes fabrics than we use today and it’s a testament to their strength that you can still buy and use them.

Can't wait to get home

[Edited on 22/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

ned

posted on 22/3/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
forgive me for being pedantic but I'm assuming that you want to sew and not saw your fabric?

beware, I've got yellow skin

ukbaggio

posted on 22/3/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Singer-591-C00A-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Leather_W0QQitemZ260097692076QQcategoryZ75565QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 22/3/07 by ukbaggio]

Peteff

posted on 22/3/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an electric machine (Newhome) for £5 from a flea market and it sews vinyl upholstery 3 layers at a time. We have a collection of 3 treadle machines of various makes, they make nice tables but they are all still in usable condition. One of them still had locked drawers when we bought it and when I opened them there was all the original tools and oilcan in there along with the HP payment books paid off at 1/11d a week, £28 fully paid. My wife still sews with that one despite having a bells and whistles machine that embroiders and everything.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

robinj66

posted on 22/3/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used a normal domestic sewing machine to do some alterations on my tonneau. However it would only comfortably deal with two layers of material at a time . The important thing is to get the thickest needle you can - get down to your local wool/sewing shop and tell the nice lady what you want to sew
ayoungman

posted on 22/3/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I use sewing machines a lot at work. They are normally very reliable. Most people have dificulty in 2 things. threading the top thread and setting the tension of the threads. Both are quite simple if you read the manual carefully.
The tension of the two threads should be about the same. A simple way to check this is to pull both threads away from the machine and 'feel' the tension of the pull. Usually they can be adjusted by a simple screw on the bobbin and adjustment knob on the top. My CNC Toyota machine will embroider a design into car mats, just ensure the needle is the correct type first though.

[Edited on 22/3/07 by ayoungman]

"just like that !"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.