Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptop
Ian Pearson

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Laptop

Hi All,

I bought a Laptop direct from HP. It was delivered with a faulty catch, and half the memory missing. The laptop was returned and has now been with them 3 weeks. They are quite difficult to deal with, as all interdepartmental communications seem to have to be done by e-mail. It is impossible to get an answer from anyone, and I’m frustrated by the inability of anyone to answer my questions. I’ve found out today that a new screen has been ordered for my laptop. This is not one of the listed faults, and nobody in HP can actually tell me what is being done to address my original complaint, and my faith in them is rapidly fading. I don’t really want to go down the route of a full refund, as I got quite a good deal, but I’m trying to keep my options open, so I’m looking into buying another brand. In the past, I’ve favoured the smaller mail order outfits. Can any of you recommend any manufacturers out there?

Regards, Ian.

donut

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have just bought a Dell 1501 which considering the spec was a bit of a bargain. 183Ghz AMD Turion64 x2 mobile plus 2 Gig ram, 256Mg Radion 3D graphics, 15.4 widescreen, DVD Burner and Win XP Media (you can have Vists Home Premium if you prefer) all for less than £500

I would try and get my money back from HP. If you have probs in the future you are going to have problems again.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Try Staples the stores are normally cheaper than their website tho, plus youve got someone to chuck it back to if it goes wrong, go late on a monday afternoon and they'll normally chuck you in a free bag if you haggle.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeR

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
distance selling regulation is your friend here.

have a read - they shouldn't give you any problems getting your money back.

nitram38

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Don't accept a repair, otherwise they can just keep on repairing it forever.
Tell them that under the sale of goods act that it was not fit for purpose and that you want a new replacement or your money back.

Danozeman

posted on 23/7/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Iv been looking at laptops. Dell seems to be the way forward and there after service is apparantly good. Certainly the one id go for.

Loads of buisnesses seem to be using dell stuff now so they cant be that bad..

As split rivet says. Staples often have good offers on but iv heard they can be a pain when u take it back.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Colnago_Man

posted on 23/7/07 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Pc World Orange Offer

Just been looking at the offer PC World have on at the moment...

If you subscribe to Orange BroadBand for £14.99 a month then they will give you a free laptop or £350 off a better laptop!!

The only catches I can see so for are:
Your are tied in for 2years
The download speed is 2Mb
The monthly limit is 2gb

The offer still applies to people who are using a different broadband supplier at the moment, not just people who are new to broadband!

slim Jim

posted on 23/7/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Colnago_Man
Just been looking at the offer PC World have on at the moment...

If you subscribe to Orange BroadBand for £14.99 a month then they will give you a free laptop or £350 off a better laptop!!

The only catches I can see so for are:
Your are tied in for 2years
The download speed is 2Mb
The monthly limit is 2gb

The offer still applies to people who are using a different broadband supplier at the moment, not just people who are new to broadband!

I was looking at this too as we are thinking of buying a laptop for the 'in laws'.

Spoke to someone at PC world yesterday and you can have £300 off just about any laptop they have as long as you sign upto orange broadband for 24 month.

As you say they advertise this for £14.99 for a 2gb download limit but you can also sign up for the unlimted download for £19.99 and still get the same offer (you need to be on BT phone line and not in a current broadband contract though). Not bad if you think Orange are ok (which I am not so sure about!)

mark chandler

posted on 23/7/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have just signed for the 2 year unlimited offer, went to currys and got a dual core fujitsu with big screen etc, £150 (its the same offer but a slightly different range of Laptops, albeit more expensive)

First 3 months is half price, currently I pay £20 per month for 2meg so its quids in.

I,d tell HP to keep it and get signed up.

Regards Mark

lsdweb

posted on 23/7/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I was also tempted by the Orange Broadband deal with PC world - I've been with Tiscali for ages so I'm out of contract with them so could swap over quite easily. Is Orange any good?
mark chandler

posted on 23/7/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on where you are, most offers are just rebadged BT service, at least for the local haul.

The only difference I expect will be an upgrade to BT's 8meg service and different DNS lookup addresses.

If you are on cable its a different matter.

Regards Mark

stevebubs

posted on 23/7/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Depends on where you are, most offers are just rebadged BT service, at least for the local haul.

The only difference I expect will be an upgrade to BT's 8meg service and different DNS lookup addresses.

If you are on cable its a different matter.

Regards Mark

Most of Wannadoo's coverage is via their own LLU network now, not a rebadged version of BT's IP/Datastream service.

britishtrident

posted on 23/7/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
When ADSL2+ becomes standard fayre 2meg will look pretty poor.

On one of my lines I am currently on ADSL2 from Be (advertised as 24 meg) its is exactly twice as fast as the so called 8 meg RADSL.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevebubs

posted on 23/7/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
When ADSL2+ becomes standard fayre 2meg will look pretty poor.

On one of my lines I am currently on ADSL2 from Be (advertised as 24 meg) its is exactly twice as fast as the so called 8 meg RADSL.

Depends on how far from the exchange you are. ADSL 2+ still won't help in situations where you're a hell of a way from the exchange....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.