Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic and Old Car Petition
lsdweb

posted on 8/2/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Classic and Old Car Petition

I don't know if this has been posted here (apologies if it has) but this is worth signing if you like your old cars!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Classic-Cars

Several EU proposals across the years are dangerous to the classic car movement. One that has been under consideration is to ban the use of cars older than 10 years. Similarly, Edinburgh City Council is considering the banning of cars over 15 years old from the town centre. These, and similar, proposals directly threaten the classic car movement, and encourage the manufacture of new cars, with the attendent environmental issues of sourcing raw materials, manufacturing, distriuting and scrapping the spiralling supply of new vehicles.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest I find it very hard to believe that this really is a genuine proposal by someone and that it is a threat at all. More likely it is some daft comment by a greenie taken out of context. I have never heard of this even once in any classic car magazine.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 8/2/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
It's been mentioned a few times in either Practical Classics or Classics monthly.

If you look at what Ken's doing re the Clean Air Zone in London (buses and artics at the moment only) it's not a huge leap to the scheme suggested. I can well see a time when anything except electric cars and Piouses will be banned from the city centre....

There was an EU draft suggesting that only cars under 10 years old could be driven on the roads. Sad but true...

It's so stupid, the carbon footprint of the classic car scene is minimal..... Whilst it's true that older cars give off more emissions and do less MPG has anyone seen the carbon footprint of producing a car!?!?!?!?

red-westie

posted on 8/2/08 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
And whether the greenies like it or not our cars are more or less recycled. It is madness to rule out cars over ten years old, the government should cap the number of new cars built as a new car has a much bigger impact than keeping a classic going.
02GF74

posted on 8/2/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
not sure if it is madness - don;t they have some sort fo time limit on cars in Irealnd?

and most folks won;t complain - look at the casrs on the roads, I am sure more than 1/2 are less than 3 years old.

will be a b****er for me as mine a 1, 14 and 33 years old; the 1 yr old being the least practical.

sammy

posted on 8/2/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the idiots in charge would very likely do something that stupid.

Petition signed.

Build diaries...

iank

posted on 8/2/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
not sure if it is madness - don;t they have some sort fo time limit on cars in Irealnd?

and most folks won;t complain - look at the casrs on the roads, I am sure more than 1/2 are less than 3 years old.

will be a b****er for me as mine a 1, 14 and 33 years old; the 1 yr old being the least practical.

They won't care until the bottom goes out of the used car market.

With my tin-foil hat on I really believe it's all driven by Ford/VW/Opel et.al. It makes no sense except to the most vacuous greens who want to see all cars banned on principle anyway and don't take manufacture footprint into account because they aren't very bright. The only people it makes any sense to are the car manufacturers.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.