Board logo

Wanted - Reverse sprocket English Axle
DavSki153 - 5/1/21 at 08:46 AM

I'm looking to try and get my BEC through an IVA. Part of this requires the addition of a reverse.

Does anyone have a Rear Sprocket for an English Axle available?

Any notable issues any of you BEC guys ran into with regards to the IVA Regs that I can try and resolve early?

ReMan - 6/1/21 at 08:43 AM

You would not normally find a sprocket for a live axel, as the axel moves as opposed to a irs where the diff is usually fixed and easier to link the power sorce to

DavSki153 - 6/1/21 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
You would not normally find a sprocket for a live axel, as the axel moves as opposed to a irs where the diff is usually fixed and easier to link the power sorce to

Ahh yes, thank you for pointing that out, looks like I overlooked the movement of the live axle.

I guess I need to fit the sprocket and motor on the engine side. May need to order a correct OD spur gear for clearance.

ReMan - 6/1/21 at 12:01 PM

Either that or a split prop and reverse box

What BEC is this?

Edwardo - 6/1/21 at 01:50 PM

I did actually find this when doing some research - I wonder how many times that massive sprocket ground out!

Lots have made it work at the engine end - this one has a sprocket sandwiched between the prop adaptor and prop (I hope Wyn doesn't mind me using his pic ) It does seem to make it quite a difficult job getting everything in though. This one has got round it by having the motor part sit in the tunnel and then connecting up to the sprocket through a reduction gear set :-

I've also heard a lot of people with electric reverse say they are a bit weedy and will give up at the slightest incline - but if it's just for getting through IVA I guess that's not so much of an issue.

As Reman has said tho - the 'easiest' way seems to be the split prop with reverse box, although they are not themselves without problems either I'm told.

ReMan - 6/1/21 at 11:41 PM

That would make a good sawmill, or an extra flywheel!