Board logo

Audi 12 point tool.
MikeCapon - 29/9/13 at 07:48 AM

Spent (wasted) yesterday morning trying to change the CV joints on my old (04) A6. I was so pleased to find that those nice German types had decided to use some lovely bolt heads on the inner joint.

I can only describe them as looking like a 12 point torx bolt. I did actually describe them as several other things yesterday morning but there's no point my typing those words as ChrisW's clever software will just write nutsack....

A T50 torx bit (6 point) seems to fit but slips as does an 8mm allen bit. It looks like I may actually have to spend some money here.

So. What I need to know is, what are those little horrors called and does anyone know where I can by the tool?

Sorry there are no pics but there was no way I was touching a camera or a phone with hands covered in half an inch of old black grease

Thanks in advance.

Mike

loggyboy - 29/9/13 at 07:53 AM

Is the bolt male or female? If female It sounds like a triple square bit.

[Edited on 29-9-13 by loggyboy]

Rob3 - 29/9/13 at 07:55 AM

Everything VAG ive worked on has 'spline bits' on the inner cvs.

I used spline bits from the halfords pro range, there upto the job but could with being slightly longer.

link

[Edited on 29/9/13 by Rob3]

MikeCapon - 29/9/13 at 08:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

It was female. Which figures.....

I'll mail order me some of those Halfords bits.

Mr Whippy - 29/9/13 at 08:02 AM

Tbh these and the torx nuts are a really bad choice on cars as it takes hardly any rust to make them round, at least with a hex bolt you can file down to the next size but then it's all about mass production and sod what happens in the future

MikeCapon - 29/9/13 at 08:26 AM

Just tried to order those spline bits from Halfords.

They wont send them to me here. Racists

Slimy38 - 29/9/13 at 08:42 AM

I bought this;

Franklin 100mm Long M10 Spline 12 Point Socket Bit 5410

Did the job beautifully. Give them a scrub with a wire brush first though.

MikeCapon - 29/9/13 at 09:59 AM

Thank you Mr Slimy

Much appreciated

loggyboy - 29/9/13 at 10:22 AM

if they are triple square(ZXN) which i think they are slightly different to normal splined bits. as the name describes the zxns are made up of the angles 3 squares create, where as splined are 2 hexagons. not a huge difference but if like sierra shaft torx bolts they are prone to being tight and rounding off you want a good fit.

Slimy38 - 29/9/13 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
if they are triple square(ZXN) which i think they are slightly different to normal splined bits. as the name describes the zxns are made up of the angles 3 squares create, where as splined are 2 hexagons. not a huge difference but if like sierra shaft torx bolts they are prone to being tight and rounding off you want a good fit.

I've just checked the one I bought, it is the 3 squares rather than 2 hexagons. The bolts themselves weren't too bad, I did a preventative squirt of plusgas to make sure but they came off with no problem.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 29/9/13 at 11:36 AM

Normally m10 splinebolts or m8 splinebolts

[Edited on 29/9/13 by ian locostzx9rc2]

Bare - 29/9/13 at 07:56 PM

Odd this best of My knowledge VW has been using those unique Bolts on their CV drive flanges since 1980.
When I bought My tool .
From the VW dealers' for a fair price too :-)